Overwhelmed by BCD choices. Looking for recommendations for my work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomasaur

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I work in a shipyard where we regularly dive to haul and service boats. We don't go deep (like 30' max) on our dives, but we're pretty busy changing zincs, scrubbing bottoms, moving large supports during ship hauls, etc. I'm in the market for a new BCD, and I'm just overwhelmed with what's out there.
What I care about is:
- durability
- Good weight management
- fine for cold and warm water dives
- not too bulky (we're often in very close quarters)

Pros out there, what would you steer me towards? I can't say money is no object, but it's not tight.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Mystic Seaport Museum

Back Plate & Wing for sure.
If you’re hanging upside down a lot you might consider the aluminum version.
You also might consider using an Oxycheq Extreme wing since you’ll be rubbing around on the bottoms of boats, around pilings, sometimes the blades of props with sharp barnacles, etc. you never know what you might run or rub into. I know because I’ve done that type of work and it’s high contact.
You can also use a light set of doubles if you want on a BP/W. Set it up with independent doubles either separate or manifold with a isolation valve, you can run tools off one tank and breathe off the other one.
I just had to clean the bottom of a 70’ sail boat that had been sitting for years untouched. Took me damn near all day. Time and materials. It was so bad it had oysters and scallops growing off the bottom! Zincs were long gone, prop was a mess.
On that I didn’t use a bc just tanks on a back pack. Weighted light so I could float up to the bottom of the boat and work upside down. The keel was about 6” from the mud. Fun days!
It payed good 👍

If you want durability, comfort and compact, this is one of the most durable BC's ever made with excellent buoyancy characteristics. You can work upside down with it no problem. You can also stay vertical with it no issues. Ideal rough work BC:

Scubapro Classic BC

The only "negative" is that it isn't very adjustable to fit a drysuit. If you aren't using a drysuit, it is the best out there.

If you want something adjustable yet durable:

Scubapro Hydros X BC

I have few divers who are commercial spearfishermen buy it and are very happy with it. Commercial spearos aren't kind to their equipment at all.

Note that these are not "cheap" BC's, but they will last you a lifetime. I have had my classic since circa 2001 and was my exclusive recreational BC for 15 years and it still looks almost like new.

The BP/W BC isn't the most appropriate BC for what you need.

I work in a shipyard where we regularly dive to haul and service boats. We don't go deep (like 30' max) on our dives, but we're pretty busy changing zincs, scrubbing bottoms, moving large supports during ship hauls, etc. I'm in the market for a new BCD, and I'm just overwhelmed with what's out there.
What I care about is:
- durability
- Good weight management

Pros out there, what would you steer me towards? I can't say money is no object, but it's not tight.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Mystic Seaport Museum
Do you need pockets?

As you know, there are a number of manufacturers for BP, but most will offer the steel, aluminum and composite options (heavier to lighter), so be sure to check HOG and Dive Rite in addition to ScubaPro, Hollis and Halcyon. There is a little learning curve going from a regular BCD to BPW, but you will iron that out within the first few dives. As for wings, I second Eric's comment above.

What I care about is:
- durability
- Good weight management

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Mystic Seaport Museum

Another vote for back plate and wing.

Ticks all the boxes and then some.
  • B&W would be much more durable than a BCD. No plastic parts to brake, no Velcro to wear out, no special parts when something does wear out or brake.
  • Very good for weight management, especially if your doing work and and need extra lift for tools, etc. attached to you. You can get just about an size lift wing you want. If your really lugging lots of gear around you could even go up to a 60lbs wing. Also you can have 2 wings one small one for light work and one larger one for heavy duty work. Lots of options out there.
  • Great for cold and warm water
  • Much more streamline and less bulky than a traditional BCD
  • Additionally B&W give you a lot more customization especially since it sounds like your using this for work. Lots of options for adding specialized D-ring, clips, bungee, etc for tools.

Very good for weight management, especially if your doing work and and need extra lift for tools, etc. attached to you. You can get just about an size lift wing you want. If your really lugging lots of gear around you could even go up to a 60lbs wing. Also you can have 2 wings one small one for light work and one larger one for heavy duty work. Lots of options out there.

This isn't a safe thing to do, a BC of any type isn't a lift-bag. Using a BC as a lift-bag is dangerous. As a matter of fact, I know this for a fact from experience.

Do NOT ATTACH ANY TOOLS TO YOU or to your BC, NEVER!!!

BP/W isn't the most appropriate BC for this type of use.

This isn't a safe thing to do, a BC of any type isn't a lift-bag. Using a BC as a lift-bag is dangerous. As a matter of fact, I know this for a fact from experience.

Do NOT ATTACH ANY TOOLS TO YOU or to your BC, NEVER!!!

BP/W isn't the most appropriate BC for this type of use.

The OP mentioned "we're pretty busy changing zincs, scrubbing bottoms, moving large supports during ship hauls, etc. " I have not clue what any of this means as im not boat expert but I am assuming the OP is attached basic hand tools, and moving manageable weights around. I don't think it would be very practical to be swimming around with a lift bag constantly trying to adjust the gas in it so its naturally buoyant to carry some tools around while the OP works on boats. Obviously I'm not saying go clip an anvil to your self. I am talking tools and moving things around with in reason

Also what is the difference between attached some tools to your D-rings over attaching heavy steel tanks with heavy regs? Also don't forget some of use are diving super heave rebreathers, My JJ is pushing 35kg fully kitted plus the 4-5 bailout tanks clipped to me, plus the 3-4 on board tanks, plus the 7-9 first stages. So yes I'm using my wing as a lift bag essentially.

That is what a wing was designed for was to compensate your buoyancy

For actual diving, I want my BPW. But I also do what the OP is doing and any stripped down BC would work. A BPW would be *fine*, but doesn't give any real advantage (when working under boats, I personally prefer something that I can deflate and throw in my work bag when I'm done; a BPW doesn't do this easily).

I'd go with a BC that's marketed towards travel divers; AquaLung Rogue -- my personal 'work' BC, Aqualung Outlaw, DiveRite TravelLite, ScubaPro LightHawk, or Oceanic BioLite would all be my picks for what the OP is doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom