Recommendations for a new BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mgungen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I love my current BCD. It is a Zeagle 911. I bought it 20 years ago and made more than 800 dives with it.
It is the oldest part of my kit. Even though it is still working OK has some signs of aging and i am considering to buy a new one if i really find a model which satisfies my needs.
I am a recreational diver and a keen underwater photographer. Mainly dive in tropical waters however recently started drysuit diving as well. I am tall and quite large.

This is briefly what i am looking for:

1. A wing style BCD
2. Integrated weight pockets( with wetsuit in tropical waters i use up to 8kgs whereas with drysuit with thin undergarment i used 10 kgs. I think when i ll be wearing thick undergarment this value will be 12-14 kgs) I hate weight belts.
3. All the diving i make are away from home and demands long international flights. So a relatively light weight BCD is preferable
4. A minimalistic but highly adjustable design(for good fit and trim) is preferable

I would appreciate to hear any recommendations

Aqualung Rogue.

I dive the Aqualung Zuma which was the most minimalistic BCD I could find (and its even lighter then the Rogue) but it has a lack of D Rings. Because of that I dive also a BP/W. Maybe that is a way to go? As far as I remember my XDeep Zen w/ aluminium backplate is less then 3 kgs.

I'm a bp/w fan, but if you love your 911 that much, how about a Zeagle Stiletto? It will only save you about 1 kilo over your 911, but it's their most compact option that can take the integrated weights you want. Unlike your 911, it comes without a crotch strap, but it looks like you can swap it over from your 911 if you want to.

Does ANY BCD allow carrying 14kg in weight pockets? Sounds like a weight harness to me....
Maybe if you added trim pockets? It was just a suggestion for something to look out for.

Does ANY BCD allow carrying 14kg in weight pockets? Sounds like a weight harness to me....
Sure....... Both the Aqualung Black Diamond and the Zeagle Ranger carry over 14kg of ditchable weight.....plus they both have additional non-ditchable rear trim pockets..

I currently have both of these BC's for drysuit diving here in the PAC NW.

For tropical / travel I use a Zeagle Stiletto

I'm a bp/w fan, but if you love your 911 that much, how about a Zeagle Stiletto? It will only save you about 1 kilo over your 911, but it's their most compact option that can take the integrated weights you want. Unlike your 911, it comes without a crotch strap, but it looks like you can swap it over from your 911 if you want to.
i think i can do without the crotch strap. Stiletto has half the lift capacity of 911. Honestly i am not sure whether this is a significant deficiency in my case or not

A weight harness can be a solution really i guess. Than regardless of the chosen BCD model's weight pocket capacity i can attach the weight i need. Dive rite has a weight harness. Never met divers using a separate weight harness but sounds practical

The Edge Element/Sea Elite Scout that my son and I dive allows for 20 lbs. total in front weight pockets, and 10 lbs. total in the back trim pockets, so that's close enough (30 lbs. = 30.8647 lbs) that one could add one weight to the tank cam band and not have to have an extra harness.

Of course, these are jacket-style BCDs, but they are actually relatively light weight overall. We have no trouble getting our trim how we want it in these BCDs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom