Recommendations for a new BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's with all these macho and angry BC names? Fury, Rogue, Stiletto, Rebel, Stealth, we going to war, joining a bikie gang or going diving. Interestingly the woman's BCDs have softer names like Soul and Lotus. It's funny.
I dunno, maybe because people who buy that style of BC are angry and macho?

What I paid for my Scuba Pro Black XXL from Divestock Express

SCUBA PRO X BLACK XXL.jpg

At work I use an Apeks Black Ice, with tiny doubles I use an Apeks WTX and for recreational diving I use an Atomic BC2. Out of thethree I would say the Atomic BC2 would probably work best for you.

Out of thethree I would say the Atomic BC2 would probably work best for you.

Interesting, why is that? (You know that you will be attacked for recommending an "expensive" BC)

Interesting, why is that? (You know that you will be attacked for recommending an "expensive" BC)
I don't care if others don't like something that is expensive that is their choice. I have used a lot of BC's at work (the company uses a variety of SCUBAPRO and some Cressi and other very cheap chinese made junk. I dive my own gear and just like most things I use I try to get a high quality item. While alll of the BC's I own and use from the company I work for do most of the things they need to, the Atomic BC2 fits, feels and reacts better. It sheds water and it is very tough. the Apeks BC'c are also very tough and I like them for work. I obviously can not own and use every BC so I am sure there are others out there that are fine as well. I would like to dive a Zeagle Ranger, which also seems like a very nice unit, but I do not have personal experience with it. Some things on the upper end of the cost scale may not give you a substantial increase in performance but in this case the BC2 is streamlined and just works very, very well. As always, YMMV.

What do you teach for people using BC's without weight pockets and only use one weight belt and all lead used is on this belt? If they have to ditch the belt underwater (should or shouldn't underwater is another thread), won't they be ditching ALL lead this scenario? At least the bc offers them to ditch one pocket and not the other.
It depends on how much lead they need. If they only need a few pounds then a belt with pockets that allow ditching of only part of the total. No need to dump the entire belt. Or to use pockets on the cam bands that allow the amount on the belt to be reduced.
When I had a diver that needed a good bit of weight I did not put them in a BC that did not allow for weight distribution over at least two systems and explained why.
Recommending a BPW with a weight belt and pockets on the cam band allowed for them to adjust to pretty much any scenario and exposure protection choice without loading a BC with a ridiculous amount of lead. Which makes it harder to move around and adds unnecessary stress.
We would also discuss the benefits for larger divers and those needing extra lead because they were in a 7mil or more of using steel cylinders to help with weight distribution.

I
This is briefly what i am looking for:

1. A wing style BCD
2. Integrated weight pockets( with wetsuit in tropical waters i use up to 8kgs whereas with drysuit with thin undergarment i used 10 kgs. I think when i ll be wearing thick undergarment this value will be 12-14 kgs) I hate weight belts.
3. All the diving i make are away from home and demands long international flights. So a relatively light weight BCD is preferable
4. A minimalistic but highly adjustable design(for good fit and trim) is preferable

I would appreciate to hear any recommendations

The Zeagle Stiletto is a great BC and checks off all of your listed requirements......including weight capacities and lift capacity... Check the specs below. It's highly adjustable and is available stock in XXL and can also be ordered in XXXL or XXXXL. I am also a large guy........6' 1" and 250lbs.. I use an XL and its just right for diving tropics in a 3mm or rash-guard. One of my favorite things about the Stiletto is the dual tank bands that keep my tank stable and secure.. Made in the USA and built to last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom