Recommendations for a new BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think i can do without the crotch strap. Stiletto has half the lift capacity of 911. Honestly i am not sure whether this is a significant deficiency in my case or not
35lbs is enough lift for any of your single tank diving. Worst case scenario is a complete drysuit flood (which doesn't actually happen, there will be air trapped somewhere) at depth near the start of your dive. Filling the wing will make you slightly positive with 14kg and the 2-3 kilos of gas in the tank. The BCD itself is around 1kg positive if you are wondering about the math.

The only single tank divers who need more lift are those who are purposefully overweighted for some reason or possibly those diving with layers of neoprene that add up to more than 10mm.

A weight harness can be a solution really i guess. Than regardless of the chosen BCD model's weight pocket capacity i can attach the weight i need. Dive rite has a weight harness. Never met divers using a separate weight harness but sounds practical
Weight harnesses are not uncommon in my neck of the woods.

Obviously, I'm a BP/W guy. I like moving 3 to 5 kg of weight to my back. If you go with a jacket style BCD, I'd recommend one with two cylinder straps for putting trim pockets. There is an overpriced weight pouch that you can buy that connects to both straps where you can put additional weight, however, you can also add a cylinder strap in between (or below, depending on your trim requirements) for adding more weight. Hopefully this pic is clear enough:
1670266154944.png

But I will warn you, it is a PITA to set up/remove each time you change cylinders. That makes that overpriced pouch seem more desirable (can't find the link, but I remember seeing it being sold in Europe).

35lbs is enough lift for any of your single tank diving. Worst case scenario is a complete drysuit flood (which doesn't actually happen, there will be air trapped somewhere) at depth near the start of your dive. Filling the wing will make you slightly positive with 14kg and the 2-3 kilos of gas in the tank. The BCD itself is around 1kg positive if you are wondering about the math.

The only single tank divers who need more lift are those who are purposefully overweighted for some reason or possibly those diving with layers of neoprene that add up to more than 10mm.
If one wants "emergency-lift", you can use a DSMB as a sort of redundant-wing. Tuck it under you, and pull the dump-valve as needed on the way up.

I'd be fairly concerned from a safety-perspective if one needed more than 35-lbs of lift.

Weight harnesses are not uncommon in my neck of the woods.

Obviously, I'm a BP/W guy. I like moving 3 to 5 kg of weight to my back. If you go with a jacket style BCD, I'd recommend one with two cylinder straps for putting trim pockets. There is an overpriced weight pouch that you can buy that connects to both straps where you can put additional weight, however, you can also add a cylinder strap in between (or below, depending on your trim requirements) for adding more weight. Hopefully this pic is clear enough:
View attachment 757181
But I will warn you, it is a PITA to set up/remove each time you change cylinders. That makes that overpriced pouch seem more desirable (can't find the link, but I remember seeing it being sold in Europe).
In liveaboard diving where the tanks are refilled in place without detaching the bcd its not an issue.

In liveaboard diving where the tanks are refilled in place without detaching the bcd its not an issue.
I doubt you'd be wanting to use that in tropical diving. It was more of a suggestion for cold water diving. With a jacket style BCD, I would sure hope you'd have enough space with integrated weight pockets and possibly trim pockets on the cylinder straps for all your weighting needs.

This is a new bc from zeagle:

The Edge Element/Sea Elite Scout that my son and I dive allows for 20 lbs. total in front weight pockets, and 10 lbs. total in the back trim pockets, so that's close enough (30 lbs. = 30.8647 lbs) that one could add one weight to the tank cam band and not have to have an extra harness.

Of course, these are jacket-style BCDs, but they are actually relatively light weight overall. We have no trouble getting our trim how we want it in these BCDs.
And I am going to tell you as someone who sold and dives this BC to never max out the ditchable weight pockets. Ever. Doing this puts 1/3 of your weight in a situation where if you have to dump lead, you will not be able to control your ascent.
When I was teaching I made sure my students were weighted so that if they had to dump lead underwater to start to get positive, they could drop the least amount.
With a weight integrated jacket BC that could carry 30lbs, if a person needed that much we would put no more than 5lbs in each of the front pockets (using a 2 and a 3) 5 in each trim pocket, and 10 on a belt and would practice dropping part of the lead from one pocket. If that was not enough, drop the other weight.
Also make sure you don't get into the habit of pulling both pockets unless it's on the surface. Do it at depth and you risk serious injury.

And I am going to tell you as someone who sold and dives this BC to never max out the ditchable weight pockets. Ever. Doing this puts 1/3 of your weight in a situation where if you have to dump lead, you will not be able to control your ascent.
This is something I'm a little surprised I hear so rarely.

Theoretically one should be fairly neutral if their weights are dialed in appropriately. Therefore if you ditch weights, you'd want to maybe be only a little positive assuming empty lungs and BCD, which should be only a few pounds, unless you're severely overweighted.

This is something I'm a little surprised I hear so rarely.

Theoretically one should be fairly neutral if their weights are dialed in appropriately. Therefore if you ditch weights, you'd want to maybe be only a little positive assuming empty lungs and BCD, which should be only a few pounds, unless you're severely overweighted.
I would hope that most instructors here teach a balanced rig and have students do a check

I love my current BCD. It is a Zeagle 911. I bought it 20 years ago and made more than 800 dives with it.
Since you're obviously fond of Zeagle, I would just stick with them, perhaps just get a Ranger, which I have used heavily for years -- very comfortable -- a bit less in cost than the "properly-pumped" 911 or Ranger Ltd(?), if I recall. I have also had the Zeus, for travel and lighter, everyday use.

I first began diving with simple nylon straps strung through, first, a bare metal plate, then a more contoured plastic / resin thing, without a BC, then with a SeaQuest "horse collar" attached. These things have come a long way.

When the Zeagle first came out, I had been skeptical of that all velcro and fabric, modular design; now, I cannot conceive of wanting another metal plate against my poor, abused back. Also, the capability of replacing or swapping out parts was a major selling point . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom