Oversight of Dive shops by Dive Agencies (PADI, NAUI, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
On a slightly different topic, I disagree with the idea that you can't teach beyond the standards.

I agree with you completely on this point. Also, I am not aware of an agency which makes this demand.

SparticleBrane:
From what I have seen thus far (I would like someone to prove me wrong, in all seriousness), PADI seems to produce non-thinking divers. Those who you ask about why something is the way it is, and their only answer is "that's what the book says" or "because my instructor said so". Only later on in a more advanced class from an agency that isn't PADI do they start to question their initial teachings.

I have no other evidence to offer you in an internet chat room besides example. I have never taken a nonPADI scuba course, but would consider myself a thinking diver. I have questioned my teachings all the way through the PADI system (sometimes driving instructors and CDs nuts in the process) and continue to do so. One of the reasons I choose to spend time here is to get perspectives on diving from outside the PADI system or my own experiences.

I will not claim to be the keeper of all scuba knowledge, but if you ask me a question I promise not to answer with "that's what the book says" or "because my instructor said so".

SparticleBrane:
While meant as a slight jab to PADI, my initial post was meant to be humorous and elicit a laugh from readers. Guess it jabbed a bit too hard?

No problem, I thought as much. My reaction is based only on the idea that there are many of us in the PADI system doing our very best for our students, and sometimes some of the comments made on this board paint us all in a very negative light. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any issues with warranted criticism, there are things PADI can and should improve (as is true of all agencies). I fully encourage the disscusion of those points.

Thanks

mjatkins:
I agree with you completely on this point. Also, I am not aware of an agency which makes this demand.
I wouldn't say that it's demanded, but I do know that both NAUI and GUE actively encourage instructors to teach beyond the published minimum standards.

SparticleBrane:
Correct--I have never taken a PADI class. However, I have worked at a LDS and I have been in contact with many PADI divers (especially those straight out of open water classes). In my humble and quite inexperienced opinion, many are misinformed and shouldn't be in the water in their current skill set.
On a slightly different topic, I disagree with the idea that you can't teach beyond the standards.

From what I have seen thus far (I would like someone to prove me wrong, in all seriousness), PADI seems to produce non-thinking divers. Those who you ask about why something is the way it is, and their only answer is "that's what the book says" or "because my instructor said so". Only later on in a more advanced class from an agency that isn't PADI do they start to question their initial teachings.

I would much rather have a longer, more challenging, and more informative basic where people are actually in control of their dives after certification. I feel that many divers today leave the sport because their find the lack of control on their own dives to be frustrating, or they didn't have an enjoyable experience (popped their ears from bouncing up and down due to bad buoyancy control, ran out of air due to no situational awareness and no gas management planning, etc).

While meant as a slight jab to PADI, my initial post was meant to be humorous and elicit a laugh from readers. Guess it jabbed a bit too hard?

Sparticle...This is our didactic list at the shop where I teach.

Equipment: We review each piece of equipment the new diver will use. We go into the history and development of each piece of equipment. We review the basics of how the equipment functions. We demonstrate assembly donning and removal. We review the process when the students are performing these skills.

We cover direct effects of pressure, gas laws, indirect effects of pressure, which includes AGE, DCS, mediastinal and subcutaneous emphysema,silent water blackout, etc...We discuss the diving environment. We discuss conservation. We include topics on ppO2, ppN2, psi...We feel the student needs to understand these concepts in order to understand the applications to them as divers,eg, why is the suggested recreational dive limit 132 ft. Why do we always want to breathe U/W. How do the gas laws apply to us as divers, etc... We dont go into MOD or EAD...because those, among other topics, are for other courses.

When we cover dive tables we discuss their origins and introduce them to decompression theory at a level the student can understand. We don't lecture on compartment theories or anything like that. We simply want the student to know how the tables were developed, which will help them understand the concept better when they are working tables.

This is not all encompassing but I hope it can give you an idea of what we teach in our PADI OW classes. I am not saying that other facilities teach this way, but my LDS owner is a firm believer in teaching the why's and not just the how's. And I feel we do produce "thinking" and knowledgeable divers when they finish our course.

I think is tremendously disrespectful of you to allude to those divers, simply because they took a PADI O/W calss as "non-thinking" divers. That is pretty much a non-thinking comment. If you don't believe that, just "think" about it. If you don't understand the ramifications of your statement...I will give you a hint...How many divers do you feel PADI has certified? And don't try to weasle your way around what you said..."From what I have seen thus far (I would like someone to prove me wrong, in all seriousness), PADI seems to produce non-thinking divers." You were just "proved" wrong...In all seriousness:wink:

mjatkins:
SparticleBrane:

So do you actually require all your students to swim, or do you follow the party line?

rawls:
How many divers do you feel PADI has certified?
Several million, I'm sure. What does that have to do with the quality of their courses? It only shows the power of their marketing department...

markrovner:
You know, if you go all the way back to the start of this thread, the original poster was raising an interesting question that got left in the dust by -- forgive me -- a barroom brawl about whose certifying agency has bigger, um, manuals.

How far do any of the certifying agencies go to ensure that out of country DOs are operating within their prescribed standards? I buy it that they depend on travelers' reports, but then what? Are there published instances of SSI or NAUI or PADI "de-certifying" an operation? Are those made public, like the restaurants that get closed down for health code violations? If not, why not?
The certifying agency that I deal with (PADI) relies at least in part on reports by its members - dive professionals. That means that when a DM has a beef, it needs to be reported to the agency, as well as venting in a public forum like this one. To do anything else just makes one a complainer, and really, we want more than that, we want to make a difference.

From a PADI perspective, there reports of "de-certified" operations and instructors are made public, in the Undersea Journal.

kari

Firefyter:
So do you actually require all your students to swim, or do you follow the party line?

Personaly, I tell all my students they need to do a 200m swim. I recognize that PADI has a provision for a 300m snokle/fin swim instead, but I don't ever offer up the option. I just tell them "ok, time for the swim."

Last week a student said "don't I get to choose between a swim and a longer snorkle?" My teaching partner said no in a friendly way. The guy jumped in the pool and did the swim.

That having been said, If one of them ever was to call me on it and demand the right to do the snorkle swim instead, that would not be the hill I would choose to die on.

Thanks,

Firefyter:

Isn't the party line to require students to swim??

kari

I do not think that there is much oversight. In my opinion it is all about the instructor. This is why it is important for one to really interview the instructor and get references. Think of it like a business there are GREAT employees who are passionate about their jobs and there are employees who are terrible and could care less.

Why can't it be true that PADI classes meet the goals of people who want to enjoy the water and be safe enough. While I pointed out what I thought were some academic weaknesses, I don't happen to agree that

In my humble and quite inexperienced opinion, many are misinformed and shouldn't be in the water in their current skill set.

But if you want to advance and get serious...another choice is a better value for the money. That should not be so threatening. PADI instructors do a fantastic job every day keeping a lot of people alive to dive another day...I see it more as an issue of scope. ...I am having a hard time letting go of the exam business though.:wink: no hard feelings I hope (anyone)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom