Oversight of Dive shops by Dive Agencies (PADI, NAUI, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Several million, I'm sure. What does that have to do with the quality of their courses? It only shows the power of their marketing department

So...Out of that "several million" there isn't a thinking diver among them, or as you put it...they are all "non-thinking" divers?

catherine96821:
PADI instructors do a fantastic job every day keeping a lot of people alive to dive another day...

That's SOME instructors do a fantastic job not all....

:rofl3:...Has anyone noticed we have all been sucked in yet again...

mjatkins:
Personaly, I tell all my students they need to do a 200m swim. I recognize that PADI has a provision for a 300m snokle/fin swim instead, but I don't ever offer up the option. I just tell them "ok, time for the swim."

Last week a student said "don't I get to choose between a swim and a longer snorkle?" My teaching partner said no in a friendly way. The guy jumped in the pool and did the swim.

Thanks for answering, and thanks for trying to do this right.

mjatkins:
That having been said, If one of them ever was to call me on it and demand the right to do the snorkle swim instead, that would not be the hill I would choose to die on.

This remark strikes me as curious, though.... if you have the autonomy to run your classes as you see fit (as long as it meets minimum standards, of course), why would it be a hill to die on? What would be the repurcussions for insisting on the swim instead of the snorkel? Other agencies have no problem at all with their instructors exceeding minimum standards...

Karibelle:
Isn't the party line to require students to swim??

Evidently not.

Firefyter:
Evidently not.

"Party line" to me implies that it the overall agenda. I believe, based on my experience in teaching classes, assisting with classes, and watching classes, that the PADI party line is to do the swim.

Apparently your experience differs from mine.

kari

SparticleBrane:
I wouldn't say that it's demanded, but I do know that both NAUI and GUE actively encourage instructors to teach beyond the published minimum standards.

Someone was kind enough to put up a link to the GUE info the other day but I honestly haven't had a chance to look at it yet, so at present I know nothing about them. But I did receive some NAUI information and had a look at it. I'm sure I didn't see the whole thing in great detail, and the guy who sent it prefaced the thing by pointing out that it is somewhat vague without also having the NAUI teaching philosophy to go with it ( I hope I'm not misrepresenting his comment).

I wonder then if it's possible that NAUI encourages their instructors to go beyond the published minimum standards out of recognition that those written standards are somewhat vague. And conversly, PADI doesn't feel the need to make this encouragement out of a belief that their standards are more comprehensive.

I'm not saying this is true, I don't know. I am just wondering outloud. Perhaps someone with an insider knowledge of both systems could chime in on this possibility.

Thanks

Karibelle:
"Party line" to me implies that it the overall agenda. I believe, based on my experience in teaching classes, assisting with classes, and watching classes, that the PADI party line is to do the swim.

It may be your agenda to do the swim, and if so, I applaud you. However, if it's PADI's, then why do students have the option?

Firefyter:
This remark strikes me as curious, though.... if you have the autonomy to run your classes as you see fit (as long as it meets minimum standards, of course), why would it be a hill to die on? What would be the repurcussions for insisting on the swim instead of the snorkel? Other agencies have no problem at all with their instructors exceeding minimum standards...

My point speaks to the dive shop I contract with, not PADI. It's not a huge dilema for me, and if it came down to an angry customer, I don't believe that my desire to have the student do the swim over the snorkle is necessarily more important than having my boss retain a happy customer.

Thanks

Firefyter:
It may be your agenda to do the swim, and if so, I applaud you. However, if it's PADI's, then why do students have the option?

If I might jump in here. I believe that it's the instructor who has the option.

Thanks

Firefyter:
It IS my agenda to do the swim. I've only taught one class where a participant did the snorkel swim, and I think it noteworthy that that class took place in October, and that individual is not yet signed off (to my knowledge - it is possible that he did the class again with another instructor).

With regard to your question about why it's an option, I don't know. I will call PADI and ask, and I will get back to you. As I'm out of town tomorrow, that won't happen until Wednesday. If you don't hear back from me, would you be so kind as to remind me? Thanks in advance.

kari

Back
Top Bottom