NAUI certified but wanting to do PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had a bad experience during my NAUI certification, and the other dive shop in my town is PADI. Would it be stepping on toes if I were to redo my certification thru the competitor shop? What other options do I have if this is the wrong choice?

I wouldn't worry about anyone's toes - if you really feel that you have to re-do the certification, don't worry about how the first shop feels. I'm curious what went so badly that you think you have to completely re-do it? An alternative might be to sign up for your next course - likely Advanced Open Water - at the PADI shop.

But no, there's no issue with switching agencies. I was PADI for OW and AOW and my more recent certs have been SDI.

Not an issue to change shops at all. I regularly switch between several local shops for gear, service, and training.

NAUI vs. PADI shouldn't matter, but instructor quality and fit definitely does matter. Why do you want to re-do the open water course? Did you finish your cert? Was there a very long gap between then and now? Do you not feel prepared?

Another option worth mentioning is doing some private instruction or guided dives with a good instructor who you like.

Not an issue to change shops at all. I regularly switch between several local shops for gear, service, and training.

NAUI vs. PADI shouldn't matter, but instructor quality and fit definitely does matter. Why do you want to re-do the open water course? Did you finish your cert? Was there a very long gap between then and now? Do you not feel prepared?

Another option worth mentioning is doing some private instruction or guided dives with a good instructor who you like.
At this point like @OTF said you might benefit more from mentoring either with a private instructor or really good veteran diver friends that you might be able to hook up with.
Depending on how bad your NAUI course was, the PADI course might not be any better,
Or it might be great and thorough.
Who knows?
A question to ask is was there enough learning to at least work with. Remember, none of these OW classes are designed to turn out perfect veteran divers from the get go, that takes time and practice. Did they teach you enough so you know not to kill yourself?
Maybe you can elaborate a little more on what wasn’t that great about your NAUI course.

I had a bad experience during my NAUI certification, and the other dive shop in my town is PADI. Would it be stepping on toes if I were to redo my certification thru the competitor shop? What other options do I have if this is the wrong choice?
No issue whatsoever. If the previous instructor couldn't teach you well, then no reason not to look elsewhere. It could have been a poor instructor, or the style was just different.

I also have two Open Water certs. First was through PADI, second is YMCA, but instructors were also certified with NAUI and CMAS, so I could have gotten those certs as well during the course. Figuring I already had the PADI cert, I saw no reason to get 4 OW certs.

In my case, my first instructor was definitely poor, and the course did not meet standards. I left that class with a OW cert, a decent grasp on the academics, but not much confidence in the underwater portion. So, I figured it would be a good idea to do the course again.

Depending on what you need as far as instruction, you may be able to complete just a refresher, with a different instructor. Definitely worth talking to them about your previous bad experience, and what you feel needs work, and they may recommend something short of full re-cert.

If you feel your OW experience was not up to par, you should not need to repeat it completely. Go to the other shop and tell them the situation. They can then put you in a short, private refresher with a good instructor who can go though the key skills, evaluate your needs, and give you whatever extra help you need.

Keep in mind the OW course, at its core, is a "teach em not to do real stupid stuff" exercise. It's the learner permit, not the CDL commercial driver license.

Kind of like if a driving course was "here's the key. put it in that hole and turn to start the car, here's how you put it in gear, step on that thing to go. Step on it more to go faster. Turn that round thing to make it go where you want it to go. Use that filppy thing to let others know you're gonna go a different way. Step on that other thing to slow down. Step on it more to make it stop."

You really learn how to drive by getting on the road and putting some miles behind you, not taking the class. People tried to tell me that a couple years back. Did I listen ???

Go find somebody good and go swim with them. It don't matter who gave you your learner's permit.

Plenty of us had bad experiences with PADI as well so vet the shop and instructor well. It may be an improvement, you may be going from the frying pan to the fire. Sounds like you got the certification? If so I would agree with those that say just start diving and learning. If you can, find an experienced diver that is doing the type of diving you want to do and dive with them.

Reactions: Doc
Plenty of us had bad experiences with PADI as well so vet the shop and instructor well.

But one Agency
IMG_5363.jpeg
has waaaay cooler patches

Back
Top Bottom