"Overfilling" faber lp 85,95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
You can have and express any opinion you want, but your right to put that opinion into action stops the moment your action potentially infringes on the rights of others.
Without expressing an opinion on overfills, the 'potential' part of your statement above seems problematic to me.

There are lots of things where our actions could 'potentially' infringe on the rights of others whether we follow established guidelines or not. Simply existing creates the potential that we may do something that may somehow infringe on the rights of others.

The real issue is actual infringement, not potential infringement.

DA Aquamaster:
Adhering to rules and respecting the rights of others is just a matter of social contract - if you want to live in and be accepted by a society, it's just part of the deal.

Ah, but societal rules change all the time. In the not-so-distant past, women were prohibited to vote and it was acceptable to own certain races as property. They were just following social rules, right?

Challenging the status-quo is what progress is all about. Some challenges are borne out as good ideas, some are not. Subject matter experts are not above tunnel vision. or is the flat-earth still the center of our solar-system?

Aqua,

I'm not arguing with you. You have an opinion. I have an opinion. Playing devil's advocate is not arguing. It is presenting the other side.

My OMS/Fabers are stamped 2640. My friends are stamped 2400. My calculations are correct for my tanks.

If a tank is going to explose at 3000, then why not hydro it for 3000, or 2900? A lot of tech shops don't agree with you. I'm sorry, but that is the case. You don't have to dive with me. You don't have to even go on the same boat. But I suggest that if you are concerned with everyones pressure in their tanks, that you ask them if in cave country or wreck country before hand.

BTW, my tanks will get hydro'd every 2.5 years instead of every five. I fill them to 3000 about 52 times a year. They will get visually inspected every 6 months, and the valves get OH'd at this time. I've never had a steel tank that failed any of these procedures. When I sell them, the buyer beware. I let them know that the tanks were overfilled. I also let them know that they were inspected much more often than required. If they are not educated on the filling specs, then they shouldn't be buying tanks. It is not my liability. I took care of maintenance. It is their decision whether to use them or not.

People drive their cars over the speed limit all the time, sell them, and then stuff breaks. Are the original owner liable. No.

Again. I'm not arguing. I stated the facts about my tanks. You say I don't understand what I'm talking about. That's pretty harsh. Be nice. No one is attacking you.

Wrong on both counts. It is not illegal for a shop to overfilled privately owned, non-commercial tank, and there is no legal restriction on tranporting an overfilled or out-of-hydro tank on the public roads. In the USA, that is.

wedivebc:
It is however illegal for a business to overfill a customers tanks but what someone does to their own tank is their own business until you transport it on public roads then DOT has something to say about it.

oxyhacker:
Wrong on both counts. It is not illegal for a shop to overfilled privately owned, non-commercial tank, and there is no legal restriction on tranporting an overfilled or out-of-hydro tank on the public roads. In the USA, that is.

Touchy subject even if you are correct which you are. Lets not push an issue that allows those that are comfotable with things to force change. At this momment there are politacal focused groups that we do not want to stir up.

Bobby

oxyhacker:
Sorry, I guess I assumed laws would be similar between countries. From the look of Bobby F's post it may just be a matter of time.
As it is I think Quebec is the only area of North America that has government issued C-cards but "play nice kiddies" or we'll all be seeing more regulation.

jonnythan:
I'd expect news of an overfilled Faber blowing up to spread quite rapidly.
I wonder if anyone would know. Once the cylinder has exploded it's a little hard to tell exactly how much pressure it contained prior to the explosion. Unless someone admits to overfilling.

Taking that one step further, if we may assume for a moment that an overfilled cylinder is most likely to fail at the time of filling, and if such a cylinder was properly contained during the filling so that there was no injury to the attendant, what are the odds that the rupture would be made public?

It could be a long step to go from "I've never heard of one blowing up" to "They don't blow up".

wedivebc:
Sorry, I guess I assumed laws would be similar between countries. From the look of Bobby F's post it may just be a matter of time.
As it is I think Quebec is the only area of North America that has government issued C-cards but "play nice kiddies" or we'll all be seeing more regulation.

WediveBC - the other fallacy of your argument is that you quoted the DOT as the regulatory authority. Want to think this one through or shall I point it out for you?

Boogie711:
WediveBC - the other fallacy of your argument is that you quoted the DOT as the regulatory authority. Want to think this one through or shall I point it out for you?
Yes thank you for pointing that out. It is of course Transport Canada that is the regulatory authority for pressure vessels in Canada.

derwoodwithasherwood:
I wonder if anyone would know. Once the cylinder has exploded it's a little hard to tell exactly how much pressure it contained prior to the explosion. Unless someone admits to overfilling.

Taking that one step further, if we may assume for a moment that an overfilled cylinder is most likely to fail at the time of filling, and if such a cylinder was properly contained during the filling so that there was no injury to the attendant, what are the odds that the rupture would be made public?

It could be a long step to go from "I've never heard of one blowing up" to "They don't blow up".

I'm not promoting or denigrating overfilling, but....

Any tank explosion is likely to be news worthy, unless your out in the sticks filling it at a private fill station. Even then one might expect the tale to be repeated by the survivors, i.e. "dont jack / use / buy brand XX as they blow up"

If it was to occur at a LDS somebody there is likely to spill the beans, i.e. "that crazy SOB been jacking his tanks for years, just a mater of time before he hurt / killed somebody........."

What percentage of fill stations have "proper containment"? Most I've encountered locally have a large plastic tub filled with water.....

I'm not saying that it is impossible for a tank to fail dramatically, and for that fact to remain a secret, I'm saying it's not likely.

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom