"Overfilling" faber lp 85,95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hydro's are good for every 5 years (maybe I should have specified for you).
VIP's are done once a year.

Wow! Thanks! I never knew that. :06: We can all learn a lot from you.
DMP:
Hydro's are good for every 5 years (maybe I should have specified for you).
VIP's are done once a year.

mempilot:
Wow! Thanks! I never knew that. :06: We can all learn a lot from you.

Why do people have to get so sarcastic and condesending when they disagree? Understand the issue and make your decision on filling your tanks. No need to get personal.

dab:
Why do people have to get so sarcastic and condesending when they disagree? Understand the issue and make your decision on filling your tanks. No need to get personal.

You need to know the history on this one to understand.

I think the point people are trying to make in this thread is exactly what you stated, understand it, decide, and proceed the way you see fit. The problem is, some throw out non-applicable data to support their reasoning, and it clouds others from understanding the truth.

dab:

Given that this discussion is happening on the 'net, I think that we should be thankful that Godwin's law hasn't yet kicked in. Mere sarcasm is a refreshing breeze compared to some of the flamefests I have endured. :wink:

The Kraken:
And to add:
""The pressure of the hazardous material at 55 °C (131 °F) may not exceed. . ."

. . . the red, bold highlight is mine.

the K
Ah, yes... that's just the way I read it the first time. Then I got to thinking... (always a dangerous thing)... doesn't air at 200+ ATA constitute a "hazardous material?"
Methinks it probably does.
S

I'd like to know what agency is going to come arrest someone for overfilling a tank. Unless your local laws prohibit it, I think everyone is safe from the *******. LOL

DOT regs are in place for commerce purposes. They can issue fines. I can't remember the last time I carried a DOT agent on one of my flights. Maybe it's the FBI? I think they are outside my garage in an unmarked white van recording my keystrokes as we speak. Or, maybe it's the US Marshal's Service, since I must already be a fugitive from past overfills. I didn't try and smuggle an overfilled tank into the country, so it's not the Customs and Border Patrol. Hmmm. NESS, no. US Postal Service, no. FAA, God I hope not.

The material, if I remember my OSHA regs correctly, have to be inherently hazardous, ie they have to be declared as a hazardous by the DOT, OSHA or some other governmental regulatory organization. You know, flammable, combustible, toxic, etc., etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum, ad painus in the butteous . . .
or become so under specified pressures based upon the specific material.

Now I could be wrong . . . :11:

oxyhacker:
This has been gone over here many times. The CFR you cite applies, like all the DOT regs, to tanks "entered into commerce", not privately owned tanks. Ditto the osha regs. So it is not illegal for diver - or a dive shop even! - to overfill a tank, or even fill one that is out of hydro.

Anyone who doubts this can pick up the phone, call the DOT, and ask for Hattie Mitchell, chief of Regulatory Review at the Office of Hazardous Materials Standards, and get the straight facts.

I have spoken, BTW, to the Hazmat people you give the link to - they tell me that if I want a definitive opinion I should write Hattie!

You might be surprised to hear, Chris, that I am not an advocate of overfilling! I do, though, believe in giving grownups accurate information, and letting them make up their own minds. If something is dangerous, I would rather explain why it is dangerous, than just tell them it was illegal when it is not.

This post about sums it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom