"Overfilling" faber lp 85,95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoddu:
By definition you are arguing with Aqua. Devil's advocate is not just presenting the other side, it is arguing against the opposing side. My dictionary goes ao far as to state that devil's advocate is "upholding the wrong side for argument's sake."

I'm not arguing with anyone. Check the date of the posts my friend. The only one trying to argue today is you.

oxyhacker:
Maybe because it's not illegal?

For those interested in FACT, visit the US Code of Federal Regulations Title 49 173.301 (a) section (8).

Which states:

"The pressure of the hazardous material at 55 °C (131 °F) may not exceed
5/4 of the service pressure of the cylinder. Sufficient outage must be provided
so the cylinder will not be liquid full at 55 °C (131 °F)."

Now...if that is not enough for you, contact the folks at your local HAZMAT Enforcement office and ask them....

Now back to your regularly scheduled mayhem.

Chris
COVCI

This has been gone over here many times. The CFR you cite applies, like all the DOT regs, to tanks "entered into commerce", not privately owned tanks. Ditto the osha regs. So it is not illegal for diver - or a dive shop even! - to overfill a tank, or even fill one that is out of hydro.

Anyone who doubts this can pick up the phone, call the DOT, and ask for Hattie Mitchell, chief of Regulatory Review at the Office of Hazardous Materials Standards, and get the straight facts.

I have spoken, BTW, to the Hazmat people you give the link to - they tell me that if I want a definitive opinion I should write Hattie!

You might be surprised to hear, Chris, that I am not an advocate of overfilling! I do, though, believe in giving grownups accurate information, and letting them make up their own minds. If something is dangerous, I would rather explain why it is dangerous, than just tell them it was illegal when it is not.

COVCI:
For those interested in FACT, visit the US Code of Federal Regulations Title 49 173.301 (a) section (8).Chris
COVCI

why not start with a real name versus some made up pen name?

But...charge $ for that cylinder fill or use it as part of a class and see where your pen named behind stands if something happens as a result of overfilling a cylinder or filling one that is out of hydrostatic test/retest date.

I stand behind my statements with my real name and give specific reference to my source of information from which I base those statements.

You and any others are free to take it upon yourselves to interpret/misinterpret what the regulations state in any way you see fit that will meet your needs.

Chris
COVCI

Thank you COVCI. I can see where I could made that statement just a little more idiot proof.
COVCI:
For those interested in FACT, visit the US Code of Federal Regulations Title 49 173.301 (a) section (8).

Which states:

"The pressure of the hazardous material at 55 °C (131 °F) may not exceed
5/4 of the service pressure of the cylinder. Sufficient outage must be provided
so the cylinder will not be liquid full at 55 °C (131 °F)."

Now...if that is not enough for you, contact the folks at your local HAZMAT Enforcement office and ask them....

Now back to your regularly scheduled mayhem.

Chris
COVCI

Inspector:
Thank you COVCI. I can see where I could made that statement just a little more idiot proof.

Ummm - idiot proof?

Earlier in the thread you said :

Ya know what I don't get, is why people put it in writing, in a public forum, boasting actually, that they routinely break the law by filling their cylinders beyond their rated service pressure. It's not much different than cheating on your taxes and then posting a classified ad in your local newspaper to that effect. So, does anyone here really care, is this string monitored or policed? Probably not. But in the unlikely event that YOUR cylinder should ever fail and this string comes to light in the subsequent investigation, you're screwed. jeffadams@psicylinders.com PSI Istructor # 065

How exactly is he screwed? If his cylinder fails - and this thread comes to light -- are they going to take him to scuba jail? It is not an illegal and punisable offense.

Kimber

Steel tanks can be overfilled by 10% until the current hydro has expired(meaning the original). To keep overfilling them you would need a special hydro completed in which your tank would be stamped with a plus sign next to the hydro inspection date. As a blender, I do not overfill past recommended pressures (they are there for a reason, does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why). As for Aluminum, highly recommended that they are not overfilled. We are not regulated by the scuba police, just the industry. Speaking of which up here there is a growing concern of home VIP's, most LDS's including the one I blend at will not fill a tank that is not VIP'd by a recognized organization.

DMP:
Steel tanks can be overfilled by 25% until the current hydro has expired. To keep overfilling them you would need a special hydro completed in which your tank would be stamped with 2 plus signs next to the hydro inspection date. As a blender, I do not overfill past recommended pressures (they are there for a reason, does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why). As for Aluminum, highly recommended that they are not overfilled. We are not regulated by the scuba police, just the industry. Speaking of which up here there is a growing concern of home VIP's, most LDS's including the one I blend at will not fill a tank that is not VIP'd by a recognized organization.

Your logic is a little off here. Every hydro is a 'current' hydro right up until the expiration. So, by your logic, with a current hydro, even 15 years from now, you can safely overfill.

When and where did you get your 'blender' cert, and what shop are you filling for?

Can someone tell me if one of those multi-plus stamps is available on eBay? :D

And to add:
""The pressure of the hazardous material at 55 °C (131 °F) may not exceed. . ."

. . . the red, bold highlight is mine.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom