Other Divers "Unsure" about the Sidemount setup - How do I present it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think it would help.

In Southern California, I've seen the crew hand scooters down to divers -- they do it by clipping the scooter to a rope and lowering the scooter, so it's as though it were clipped to the boat, only they're holding the rope. I suppose that somewhat increases the chance of losing one, but I haven't seen it happen -- the Peace guys are pretty good at not dropping things! I would imagine the same idea could be used for bottles, if that would be a compromise that made everybody happy.

Reactions: Jax
I would think it would help.

In Southern California, I've seen the crew hand scooters down to divers -- they do it by clipping the scooter to a rope and lowering the scooter, so it's as though it were clipped to the boat, only they're holding the rope. I suppose that somewhat increases the chance of losing one, but I haven't seen it happen -- the Peace guys are pretty good at not dropping things! I would imagine the same idea could be used for bottles, if that would be a compromise that made everybody happy.

That's kind of where I got the idea.

You know, I like the way you used the term, "suspicious".

I think that is a very good term.

We must have learned from the Peace (or maybe from RN :) ) cause that's the way we do it too. Most everyone jumps with their scooter, whether sidemount or backmount doubles, but if you are 5'4" 135 lbs, jumping with as much gear as you weigh can be a little daunting. In that case, most go off the back of the boat with their doubles/scooters clipped off to an equipment line. We don't hand it down, that results in sore backs, but we'll clip off the scooter to the line, then a bottle, then another bottle and keep the second bottle right at the surface. The exception to the rule comes in when it's too rough to moor/tie off, then it's get off with all gear in place (kind of like a flung cat).

What is your hose setup? Do you have the ability to share from both tanks?

One problem I have with sidemount is the huge differences diver to diver. I see some who have short hoses on each tank, meaning they cannot share without handing off a tank. I'm not convinced that is safe and if I were an instructor might have a problem with that setup.

I'm in the "long hose on both tanks" camp so I can donate seamlessly to a backmount or sidemount diver without anything they are unfamiliar with.

But, I also try not to mix teams. I had to for a while until I got more tanks, and try to just carry one rig to a dive weekend so I do sometimes mix, but it's not my preference. There are very few dives that require sidemount or backmount and I'm perfectly comfortable in either rig.

We must have learned from the Peace (or maybe from RN :) ) cause that's the way we do it too. Most everyone jumps with their scooter, whether sidemount or backmount doubles, but if you are 5'4" 135 lbs, jumping with as much gear as you weigh can be a little daunting. In that case, most go off the back of the boat with their doubles/scooters clipped off to an equipment line. We don't hand it down, that results in sore backs, but we'll clip off the scooter to the line, then a bottle, then another bottle and keep the second bottle right at the surface. The exception to the rule comes in when it's too rough to moor/tie off, then it's get off with all gear in place (kind of like a flung cat).

:spit:

I was all like "cool" until I got to that last parenthetical! :rofl3:

I didn't think there was any problem with what I was doing, but I guess one of the guys thought that rough seas or current would be a problem. :idk:

Don't give up your day job to guess weights at a carnival. :giggle:

What is your hose setup? Do you have the ability to share from both tanks?

One problem I have with sidemount is the huge differences diver to diver. I see some who have short hoses on each tank, meaning they cannot share without handing off a tank. I'm not convinced that is safe and if I were an instructor might have a problem with that setup.

I'm in the "long hose on both tanks" camp so I can donate seamlessly to a backmount or sidemount diver without anything they are unfamiliar with.

But, I also try not to mix teams. I had to for a while until I got more tanks, and try to just carry one rig to a dive weekend so I do sometimes mix, but it's not my preference. There are very few dives that require sidemount or backmount and I'm perfectly comfortable in either rig.

Yes, I tried that (followed your example!) - thought I was pretty good at it, until Rob made spaghetti of me! :laughing: Of course, he also drilled me enough that I found it really wasn't that hard after all to know which reg you were on.

I have found since then that when my hands are cold, I can totally miss a clip-off of the primary and not feel it. I think I will not dive in water that cold anymore. I just don't do well in it.

Well then, by golly, I want to meet that standard! :thumb: :)

That is the right attitude!
At this level of training everything must be squared away, period. So your admision of "it could have been better" says it all. I agree that some more dives to get back to quick and snappy and then do skills with the instructor will prolly solve their issues.

I brought up the higher standard thing because my dive pedigree of cards is not typical. Thus I am being held to what I think is a ridiculously high standard for my trimix card, but rather than be pissy I chose to meet the standard imposed and leave no doubt in the instructors mind. I am hoping it will make me a better person, lol
Eric

:spit:

I was all like "cool" until I got to that last parenthetical! :rofl3:

I didn't think there was any problem with what I was doing, but I guess one of the guys thought that rough seas or current would be a problem. :idk:

Don't give up your day job to guess weights at a carnival. :giggle:

If you try to get gear handed down on a line in seas too big to tie off in, you won't be anywhere near the line by the time you get to the gear. Live boat diving means you have to get off and on with all your gear. Otherwise we call you a snorkeler.

Yes, I did the live boat thing. The crew carried my right tank, and I took it just before springing in.

I just have no desire to do a loaded tech dive in rough seas or "Andria Doria" type current. Just isn't me.

I do want to do extended dives on the Vandy, though!

Back
Top Bottom