Other Divers "Unsure" about the Sidemount setup - How do I present it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember a potential problem mentioned with the UTD system of the tanks draining unevenly if one first stage had a higher IP than the other--has that turned out to be an issue in practice?
Well. . . you just monitor the rate of breathing off of the particular tank to avoid an overall imbalance in trim.

The only dramatic upset in balance I've noticed is the use of the "neutral" compact AL80's (220bar/3300psi) for sidemount i--way too heavy, terrible mass & trim characteristics for tropical ocean diving compared to the regular standard AL80's (200bar/3000psi) from Catalina or Luxfer.

Like anything new and novel, you adapt & accommodate; spend time on the learning curve with a lot of trial & error. If I see an objective solution that's potentially viable to my diving interests (tropical Pacific WWII Wrecks), then I'll do my best to utilize it --I don't care whether y'all think it's cool or not, got that??? I'm here & doin' it on the Chuuk Lagoon Wrecks right now & you're not. . .

well, I am diving the wrecks off of New Jersey practically every weekend and my wrecks are cooler than yours.:D

I think James said it well, to instill confidence in your teammates it is best to show up prepared, skills sharp and knowledge crisp. The OP admitted her skills were a bit rusty and it is geographically challenging to get to practice and diving sites.

Reactions: Jax
:rolf3:

James said it well, but Rob hit the nail on the head. We need to dive together more . . . to install that confidence.

But I'm loving this discussion! :popcorn:

So Jax have your critics become at ease with your SMing ways?
It only takes a few dives to win confidence and come up with better techniques to dive off a boat.

I was up on Huron this past season and dove both SM and BM either one proved to be equally easy just required some different techniques.
I used cheaters for the first few SM dives then did not use them any more but started hooking valves with my arms to climb the ladder and or walk to my seat.

By the end of the season there were as many SM divers as BM and no worries.
It is a matter of training and being prepared for different conditions.
I would love to see the look on your buddies faces when they see you rock that SM!
Trust me you will be just fine!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Not yet -- it might have something to do with me not getting into water below 60F! :laughing:

Actually, we've set up a few trips as eval / practice dives, where we will do unsigned no-notice OOAs, line cutting practice, etc. Gently, at shallows, but in a lake. IF it is 60 or above. :cold:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom