Other Divers "Unsure" about the Sidemount setup - How do I present it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(btw, How do you switch out regulators on conventional sidemount tanks --on-the-fly-- while piloting a scooter??? Not a problem or issue with the Z-sidemount system. . .]

All regs are (softly) necklaced, you take the second with your free hand, drop the first and take in mouth the second.
Do I have to assume you are not able to manage your regs when you are using a DPV ?

Reactions: Jax
All regs are (softly) necklaced, you take the second with your free hand, drop the first and take in mouth the second.
Do I have to assume you are not able to manage your regs when you are using a DPV ?
No Holmes . . .you read and comprehend from previous posts that I dive ALWAYS BREATHING THE PRIMARY LONG HOSE REG --with the necklaced backup around my neck a la Hogarthian/DIR Technique -- you got that Sherlock???

I have fully understood than you dive as the gospel of St Andrew says to. By the way, I was wondering if you are able to perform some basic regulator skills like an OOA emergency. I can't understand why it would be more difficult to switch from left to right reg than to give the LH and take the back-up, Régis.

Last edited:
Could-you please explain me how you can manage a leak on a MP hose, or a free-flow reg ? I haven't seen any valve to isolate the issue.

Last edited:
I have fully understood than you dive as the gospel of St Andrew says to. By the way, I was wondering if you are able to perform some basic regulator skills like an OOA emergency...
Yes of course. . .
Could-you please explain me how you can manage a leak on a MP hose, or a free-flow reg ? I haven't seen any valve to isolate the issue.
Disconnect both QC6 connections to the sidemount tanks; connect QC6 fitted second stage reg to tank, or use of an additional dedicated backup 2nd stage reg with inline flow isolator on its supply hose coming from the 1st stage of one of your sidemount tanks.
I can't understand why it would be more difficult to switch from left to right reg tahn to give the Lh and take the back-up, Régis.
I just stick with what I was fundamentally trained in along with my SE Asia Diving Teammates, diving WWII Wrecks of the Indo-Pacific Region for the past six years. The Z-system allows me to retain that fundamental training & nominal diving configuration, with minor accommodations & adjustments, learning & getting used to the new system. That's what I've been practicing here on the Chuuk Lagoon Wrecks for the past week. . .

(Diving on the San Francisco Maru with Z-sidemount in ten hours utilizing this profile . . .Goodnight/Good-day)

Last edited:
Im not sure what switching regs out on a scooter has to do with a harness and wing? We swap on the fly all the time. Again if that's an issue then that type of diving isn't for you.

I understand not wantingto lose basics to a degree but I also think a diver at that level needs to be able and confident enough to think for themself. Everybody I sm with.uses Bill Mains hose setup, frankly I.think.its the only safe way.

I can see were the system worked with the tanks you listed. I would.like to.see how much the wing stuck.up and how the tanks rode. I have seen it with lp95s and the rig just sucks but there are some who just can't see it. With my nomad and my.perfect tank positioning I.was 3 times smaller profile than the guys I saw.

Because I want to retain the the functionality & familiarity of the the Hogarthian Long-Hose & Bungee'd necklaced rbackup that I've been taught since beginning wreck penetration classes with my SE Asia dive mates nearly six years ago --and keeping that configuration and deployment on demand is of paramount importance with my team. . .

(btw, How do you switch out regulators on conventional sidemount tanks --on-the-fly-- while piloting a scooter??? Not a problem or issue with the Z-sidemount system. . .]

Day 8 out of 10 today on the open water wrecks, 45 to 60 meters deep, of the IJN Fourth Fleet Anchorage in Chuuk Lagoon, and my Razor 2 buddy has switched back to conventional backmount for six of those days (he's very impressed with the sturdier wing & harness attachment design of the Z-system). . .

The 9kg/20lbs wing is just enough lift for two 11L (AL80's) tanks, and two 4.2L (AL30's) deco bottles in tropical 29deg C waters, on the surface pre-dive before descent, with a skin suit and no added lead weights.

I was surprised to see how "floaty" LP95's get once they're down below 1500 psi or so ... never realized it till I hooked up a pair for some SM dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Disconnect both QC6 connections to the sidemount tanks; connect QC6 fitted second stage reg to tank, or use of an additional dedicated backup 2nd stage reg with inline flow isolator on its supply hose coming from the 1st stage of one of your sidemount tanks.

IMHO, conventional SM procedures are more "compatible" with BM training (switching regs, closing valves). Moreover it's idiotproof and I like KISS principle (which is one of the corner stones of the DIR philosophy).

IMHO, conventional SM procedures are more "compatible" with BM training (switching regs, closing valves). Moreover it's idiotproof and I like KISS principle (which is one of the corner stones of the DIR philosophy).
Very well . . .I'll concede as much that it is easier to manage a free-flow/leaking hose on conventional sidemouint than Z-sidemount QC system.

(Back from the San Francisco Maru dive on sidemount here in Chuuk Lagoon, 49m to 56m depth --I like being able to mount & clip AL30's for deco on each side for even balance & trim ("Right Rich" for Oxygen and "Left Lean" for Eanx50:wink:)

I remember a potential problem mentioned with the UTD system of the tanks draining unevenly if one first stage had a higher IP than the other--has that turned out to be an issue in practice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom