Openwater Diver... The Movie

Are you going to see Openwater the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I set up a webpage where you can go and sign up to see the movie as a group on August 27. We can't go opening weekend because we will be on a Flower Gardens trip. I am taking money so I can buy the tickets in a block for the movie that starts around 7:00PM. I can order them online or if I get enough people together I am going to see what the movie theater does for a group of people.
http://www.surfaceintervalscuba.com/Open Water The Movie.htm

Already know how it ends. (got my August copy of "Undercurrent" in the mail yesterday). We can all imagine what it might be like stuck in water for a couple of days with nasties circling around us. Tough break for the couple from La.

I saw the movie this past Saturday. My suggestion, save your $$$. It reminded me of the "B" movies that used to play at the Drive-In, back when there were Drive-Inn's.

cancun mark:
Because of the hype over the potential "jaws-ness" of this movie and possible negative impact on the dive industry, I just recieved an email from PADI with potential Q & A's from worried clients.

I will try to attach it.

When does the movie come out?? Do the divers end up 'sleeping with the fishes?' I always have this fear of coming up and finding the boat gone or going and wondering how I'll end up, and think that "rollercoasters really aren't all that bad". I always thought that sharks hated the taste of neophrene.

Wife and I saw it yesterday. It's a fiction, based almost entirely on conjecture. Film is about 70 minutes...one nude scene....the sharks were obviously filmed at a controlled feeding session....chum clearly visible in footage. They were accurately depicted as novice divers...dangling gear, no signaling equipment, etc, etc.

I have seen much better accounts, based on fact, through pathways presented in this forum. Thanks for those!

I don't think I wasted our money. It was entertainment, and we viewed it as such. I have done what I intended to do...become conversant on what I saw, rather than speculative on what I did not see. Seeing it once is enough.

Regards,

The movie don't waste your money. Alamo was showing it on the public side of windy point last night, but it was sold out, so we made a dive around the point and watched it in the water with everyone else. It was a boring moving with no substance and did not stick to the real story. If I had paid the $19 they were charging to watch the movie while siting in the lake I would have been really pissed off!

So is Alamo like a drive -in or something? $19? What was that for entry fee, and what else?

Debraw:
So is Alamo like a drive -in or something? $19? What was that for entry fee, and what else?

its not a drive-in silly, its a dive-in HAHA :eyebrow:

I know some of you mentioned you thought you couldn't handle 2 hrs of floating at the surface. The good news is the whole damn thing is only 79 minutes. The bad news is it feels like 4 hrs. The shark week promos and specials hyping it were better and more intense then this short film. Still it would be fun to see it with other divers. I went with the wife. I was afraid she was going to try and slit her wrists after 30 minutes. We often tease one another for picking a crappy movie. Open Water surpassed The Postman with Kostner as the worst pick ever.

SeaHunt:
I saw the movie this past Saturday. My suggestion, save your $$$. It reminded me of the "B" movies that used to play at the Drive-In, back when there were Drive-Inn's.
She's a non-diver and we both agreed [this seldom happens] that we wasted 12$

Back
Top Bottom