Trip Report 2023 08/04-08/07 Flower Garden Banks Marine Sanctuary with MV Fling Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I'm looking at flower gardens for this summer. Have only dove the carribean primarily in Roatan. Have advanced with 35 logged and comfortable at depth.

Never dove unguided and wandering if there is DM in the water at all times or are these buddy dives?

Were AL100s available? I have high air consumption and would probably be around 500 psi after about 35-40 minutes if the majority of dive is below 50 ft.

Thanks.
There are not guides in the water with. The DM's on the boat will go in to check conditions and run a guide line prior to the dives. If your dive times are limited to high air consumption I would bring a buddy with you.
I did a 3 day trip last Summer. All dives were pretty easy except the last day with extremely fast currents. Half the boat sat out the last dive. I took a picture of the dive board that shows max depth an dive time of each diver to get an idea, you have to zoom in to read it.

Attachments

• 20230816_162030.jpg
    20230816_162030.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 36
There are not guides in the water with. The DM's on the boat will go in to check conditions and run a guide line prior to the dives. If your dive times are limited to high air consumption I would bring a buddy with you.
I did a 3 day trip last Summer. All dives were pretty easy except the last day with extremely fast currents. Half the boat sat out the last dive. I took a picture of the dive board that shows max depth an dive time of each diver to get an idea, you have to zoom in to read it.
Appreciate the info and thanks for the pic. Unfortunately, can't make out the writing.

Appreciate the info and thanks for the pic. Unfortunately, can't make out the writing.
Sorry I guess the resolution isn't high enough. Every diver went to at least 65' on every dive. They only have 80's and charge extra if you bring your own tank. Personally I would wait until you improved your air consumption first.

Hi, I'm looking at flower gardens for this summer. Have only dove the carribean primarily in Roatan. Have advanced with 35 logged and comfortable at depth.

Never dove unguided and wandering if there is DM in the water at all times or are these buddy dives?

Were AL100s available? I have high air consumption and would probably be around 500 psi after about 35-40 minutes if the majority of dive is below 50 ft.

Thanks.
Hi Ablab, no DMs in water so all buddy dives. You can bring you own tank but at additional cost.

I went again this year in August and had fantastic experience, and would highly recommend visiting flower garden in late July or August (conditions are more consistent)

Great report and glad you had fun. I’ve been considering this trip for years. Do you mind sharing what the cost was? And sleeping conditions were good aside from some chop (I’m a terribly light sleeper unfortunately lol)?

Agreed, Fling is an awesome trip. Stetson's Bank was fantastic. I considered it a bit more adventurous side of diving trips compared to concierge/resort style diving because of the following (as others have stated):
  1. Ocean Conditions - The trip takes you out into the Gulf of Mexico. So expect some ocean conditions/boat rocking. They monitor ocean conditions/forecasts and on occasion cancel trips without much notice due to the ocean condition forecasts changing. It makes sense cause there is no land base leeward protections from ocean conditions for the whole trip. As such you may need some sea sickness medication (i.e. scopolamine) if that is an issue for you.
  2. Dives Depths - Some of the dives are on the deeper side of AOW recreation diving. For example, I felt like most the flower garden coral formations were around 80', so it was pretty typical to have max depths between 80-100'. Stetson I don't recall being quite as deep and the oil rig is up to you for depth (i.e. vertical structure).
  3. Dive Route/Plan - They run a dive line for you to follow from the mooring line, but no divemaster is present. So it's up to you and your buddy to set the dive plan.
  4. Surface Currents - They occasionally have surface currents. They provide guide/current lines connecting to the mooring line for your decent/safety stop.
  5. Boat Accommodations - The accommodations are adequate, but not luxurious. Most of the rooms have 4 bunk beds to a room with a curtain for privacy. So you typically have roommates (ie. new friends). It's like summer camp on a boat for divers.
All this to say it's a really fun trip and I will be back for more trips especially because I'm located in Texas.

Great report and glad you had fun. I’ve been considering this trip for years. Do you mind sharing what the cost was? And sleeping conditions were good aside from some chop (I’m a terribly light sleeper unfortunately lol)?
For weekend trip (leave port Friday night and back Sunday late afternoon, 7 dives) the total cost is around 1000 (base price + tax+ tip). I always bring ear plugs and eye mask, the bunk bed feels like a baby cradle with boat rocking a little. If you are a light sleeper, I would suggest also bringing some melatonin just in case.

One key tip for diving flower garden is always physically holding onto the line when ascending and descending even if you feel comfortable. It's important for safety and also help save gas for a longer dive.

Back
Top Bottom