Openwater Diver... The Movie

Are you going to see Openwater the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been thinking about trying to rent a movie theater for the Openwater the Movie that is coming out August 20.

http://www.openwatermovie.com

For completely selfish reasons ( Flower Gardens trip planned the same weekend as the opening) I want to do it August 27. I thought the Texas Swamp Divers might be interested in a little get together of sorts. I have a guy looking into getting permission for a new Movie Tavern that is opening in Lincoln Square at I-30-Collins in Arlington. I need to hear some feedback and see if i really want to pursue this or not. How many of you are planning on seeing it?

Debraw count me in on this!

David and I will be seeing it at River Oaks in Houston (or Greenway Theatre? whichever it is at...) when it opens... :)

Also, we haven't gotten to watch the full episode yet, but the currently playing episode of Nip/Tuck on FX involves scuba diving... :)

I have my doubts about this movie. I'm not sure that "stranded on the surface" will keep my attention for 2 hours.

Panama Jack:
I have my doubts about this movie. I'm not sure that "stranded on the surface" will keep my attention for 2 hours.

I agree it doesn't seem too exciting on the surface (no pun intended), but then again I said the same thing about Phone Booth and that movie kept me on the edge of my seat.

Because of the hype over the potential "jaws-ness" of this movie and possible negative impact on the dive industry, I just recieved an email from PADI with potential Q & A's from worried clients.

I will try to attach it.

Debraw:
...August 27...Texas Swamp Divers...new Movie Tavern that is opening in Lincoln Square at I-30-Collins in Arlington. I need to hear some feedback...How many of you are planning on seeing it?

Debra, I voted above, and count me in for the 27th in Arlington. Mark, thanks for the PADI link of Q's & A's, with the candid admission that nobody knows how wanna-be divers may react. Personally, I hope that those most affected are careless operators.

I have no plans to see it. From reviews from fellow divers and past experience watching movies on a subject that is aimed at the vast majority of the population which do not dive, I seriously doubt if the movie makers bother to cover the rules we follow and point out where/when those rules are broken. I expect it to be another sensationalized movie making the dive community and sharks the bad guys.

You have a nice idea, but personally I won't be wasting my money.

I dont plan on seeing it. Saw the previews last week when watching King Arthur. I see no reason to waste time and money on this movie

I just saw the preview of the movie today while at the theater to watch I-Robot. Won't waste my money on Open Water. It was very obvious that it was sensationalized garbage just made to make money. Preview said it is supposed be a true story. My question is, how many true stories did they have to put together to get that one true story?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom