thoughts on an open water diver in a technical diving forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine said his friend dives 95/95 on every dive, and has been bent God knows how many times. But....he hasn't changed a thing.
I love it when people learn from their experience. <smh>

I love it when people learn from their experience. <smh>
I bet he's young. and one day, when he's older, the collective damage over many many years will catch up to him. but he doesn't see it now
eta- I'm young too, so understand the mindset sadly lol

I’m interested in the speed that the SurfGF changes during decompression. (SurfGF is your current Gradient Factor if you instantly appeared on the surface)

For deeper dives, say 65m/215ft after 40 mins on the bottom, the SurfGF is in the hundreds, 375% on this example. This starts to decline as you ascend to a point where you’re off gassing, below your first stop (33m/110ft). During the 2h decompression it slowly reduces.

It appears pretty linear as it drops to the eventual GF-hi, e.g. from 375 to 80, call it 300% in 120 mins. The last 20% from SurfGF=100 to GF-hi=80 seems to take around 13ish mins

Maybe I really should write down the numbers on another dive. At least it’ll give me something to do on deco!

Has anyone else watched this?

I bet he's young. and one day, when he's older, the collective damage over many many years will catch up to him. but he doesn't see it now
eta- I'm young too, so understand the mindset sadly lol
the oldest surviving sponge diver on the island of Kalymnos always smoked after a dive. If he couldn't light a cigarette, he knew he was in trouble.

He's probably been bent more times in the course of his diving career spanning 5 decades (no longer dives) than my dive count. These guys were always pushing the envelope in order to make money collecting sponges.

I’m interested in the speed that the SurfGF changes during decompression
It's going to depend heavily on the time constant of the controlling tissue. It also slows down (for the same reason deco stops get longer).

The space between the gradient factor line and the ambiant pressure line, is the safe space where you’ll decompress.
On this topic, I think it's worth emphasizing that there are multiple gradient factor lines, one for each of the 16 different tissues. The vertical position on the graph is also tissue-dependent. That's why some tissues may be in their off-gassing region while others may be in their on-gassing region.

The issue stems from always asking questions and then saying "I have xyz as technical instructors as friends and they love me asking them these questions"... Like you are always trying to make us think you are cool and want to fit in.

Honestly prefacing questions with caveats of "Hey I have no experience, but am interested in this"... is fine. But when you try and brag you have so many friends and such in positions, its basically like saying "I want the attention from everyone and if you don't give me the attention I am seeking I will just say you are being mean because my technical friends and technical instructor friends say I am fine asking questions!"

Anyways I am of the mindset of less questions from random internet people and get out and dive and put things into practice. Just reading doesn't make a good/ smart diver. You need to actually be doing the dives to truly understand things.

The issue stems from always asking questions and then saying "I have xyz as technical instructors as friends and they love me asking them these questions"... Like you are always trying to make us think you are cool and want to fit in.
ETA to this part specifically. I do not give two shits if people like me, want to dive with me or not, agree/disagree with my posts, etc. My issue is when people decide to respond rudely for literally no reason. I can reply to a thread without it being attention-seeking.
Honestly prefacing questions with caveats of "Hey I have no experience, but am interested in this"... is fine. But when you try and brag you have so many friends and such in positions, its basically like saying "I want the attention from everyone and if you don't give me the attention I am seeking I will just say you are being mean because my technical friends and technical instructor friends say I am fine asking questions!"

Anyways I am of the mindset of less questions from random internet people and get out and dive and put things into practice. Just reading doesn't make a good/ smart diver. You need to actually be doing the dives to truly understand things.
oh no I was only saying that because it seems like mainly people online can be a little snarky.
and yeah I agree you can understand concepts on paper but it's a whole separate thing being able to use that in a dive and physically carry that out. I'm naturally excited for when I can start doing that, so I guess in the meantime I just do research lol.

and no I wasn't bragging about my friends, anyone can have friends in widely different areas/levels of life and sports. it just seems like generally online people are more rude?
I have met a few people in person that are like "wtf are you doing even trying to talk about this", just not as many.

And I base if someone is being mean or not by their language and energy, not whether or not they "feed into my posts and give me all sorts of attention".

I'm not cool; I don't and never have pretended I am. I have tunnel vision when it comes to my goals, which drives people with a wider view on life absolutely bonkers.
Absolutely nothing to brag about whatsoever. The only reason I get excited over having technical diver friends specifically is because we have a strong mutual interest.

But I wasted my time typing this out to you anyway, because you're going to say I wrote out a sob story for attention. LMAO.

@kaylee_ann , I am a fully recreational diver (and instructor) and I did never feel the need to step up to technical diving.
I often post in tech diving forum as many interesting topics are discussed there, I learned a lot, and often I posted my experiences about deco diving, narcosis, oxygen toxicity, etc.
Here in Europe the boundary between recreational and tech is much higher than in US.
My CMAS recreational certification allows me to dive (and to teach diving) down to 50m max and with multiple deco stops. It even includes using CC rebreathers at shallow depth (10 m max in pure oxygen).
So often topics are discussed in the tech forum which are not really "tech" for our standards.
Although I am explicitely a pure recreational diver, usually my posts in the tech forum do not cause any significant harsh responses. Sometimes other users do not agree with me, but this is normal on any forum.
Also consider that if a written text contains allusions, humour, sarcasm or satirical content, it can be easily misunderstood.
Face to face communication is more easily conveying these effects.
I see that some people write with a style which easily triggers hate and harsh responses.
Others, as me, use a style which results more polite and accomodating, so even when I post something wrong, I get corrected and educated politely.
As it appears that you have encountered an anomalously large number of harsh responses, you should evaluate if this is due to your writing style.
As a not-native English speaker I had to learn how to write in a way that is not just grammatically correct, but also polite and respectful.
I made errors due to my imperfect mastering of English and poor knowledge of habits and customs of other countries.
I remember one case where I praised being "lazy". I am actually very lazy!
Here in Italy laziness is a very good thing, it allows us to reach goals with minimal effort, and to have a good time also while working softly.
It appears that in other countries laziness is a very bad thing, and one is expected to work hard, not to take enjoyment in between...
So I got some harsh responses saying that an educator (as me) should teach proper work ethics, not teach how nice is the life for lazy people...
Of course this is a cultural thing, I fully understand the US work ethics, but I do not endorse it.
We all must accept that people can have different priorities, and evaluate some practices as good or bad.
If we present our thoughts politely and respectfully, also prople disagreeing with you will respond politely and respectfully.
If one gets systematically harsh responses, usually this is not due to the content of his writing, but by the improper style, which triggers bad reactions.

I'd say there's no issue with an OW diver asking questions. My addendums to that are a few. Ask questions, and if something doesn't make sense ask. Feel free to do your own research and retort to someone's answer in an inquisitive manner. Don't be argumentative. You may be completely right, but you may be wrong as there may be more to the story than your current knowledge base. The problem is as an OW diver if you argue a point too much here the question will either get derailed or you'll just be ignored for being an "annoying OW diver." Don't take what you read here as gospel. There are many ways to skin a cat. Some are taught and are in books, some are just things developed out of necessity that don't necessarily get taught. There is alot of good information here. There's also alot of misinformation.
Just because someone has alot of technical dives doesn't make them a good technical diver. There are some absolutely atrocious divers doing some serious technical dives regularly. They're only still alive because of luck. A technical cert doesn't mean someone's a proficient tech diver. I took fundies a couple years ago. The class was almost derailed by a guy who was an OW instructor (up to the point he taught an/dp and more advanced classes). He had no buoyancy control, had never used a butt dump on any of his wings and couldn't understand how to use it, and generally was a horrific diver. He had to be removed from class and asked to work on basic OW skills with another GUE instructor who was co-teaching.
Take everything you read with a grain of salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom