Divers Propulsion Vehicles on Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take a Genesis on all trips, including liveabords. If I'm solo, I'll cruise around on the outskirts of the group for a dive or two until the DM is comfortable I'll be fine on my own and then disappear and just make sure I'm at the exit point at the appointed time every time. If you have crappy scooter etiquette, an unreliable DPV, don't have excellent navigation skills, can't keep track of time, can't accurately estimate distance traveled or just should not be solo diving to begin with, then solo DPV diving on a liveaboard is horrible idea. Stay with the group, continue to hang on the outskirts and gain experience.

You won't see as much small stuff that the DM or others point out (because your good scooter etiquette will prevent you from zipping in and out of the group to look), but you will probably have better interactions with the large stuff, if you control your breathing and make smooth movements. There's nothing like calmy slipping into the middle of a group of sharks hanging in the current (while everyone else is clinging to the reef) or doing barrel rolls at full speed with a bunch of playful dolphins or sea lions.
Thanks Jon, good advice.

After my initial post and thinking about things, I think best way is to get to know the other guests on the live aboard and ask to join a small group. Do some relaxed dives and follow them around without being too close to bother them with the DPV noise (brushless motors and sinusoidal switching motor controllers should be audibly quieter than older DPVs, which is a plus).

Looking forward to see how it handles current too.

Back
Top Bottom