thoughts on an open water diver in a technical diving forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would think that, but I have sadly learned its far from true. One of the most famous cave instructors in the world puts out horrific students nowadays. He was warned 10-12 years ago by a group of instructors and former students that there were some issues, but he didn't listen. He's actually still teaching now and I firsthand have seen his students in the water. We're talking about people coming out of cave and technical classes with barely a frog kick. Some instructors are past their prime, some just don't give a crap and want the money, but even more commonly are instructors passing students with subpar skills based on the assumption that they're "good enough" and someone else will "work out the kinks in the next class."
If only more agencies would implement the "Provisional Pass" which GUE does (did?) in Fundimentals. This recognises that practice is required, preferably mentored, so a student can properly master those skills. An assessment, i.e. test, would prove that the student's now met the skills to pass.

Alas a lot of the courses don't allow for more time without pushing the student back to retake the course.

If only more agencies would implement the "Provisional Pass" which GUE does (did?) in Fundimentals. This recognises that practice is required, preferably mentored, so a student can properly master those skills. An assessment, i.e. test, would prove that the student's now met the skills to pass.

Alas a lot of the courses don't allow for more time without pushing the student back to retake the course.
There is one way to get around this but it costs money and time.

You can just book extra days to a class if you usually talk to the instructor and have a friend taking the class with you.

Then you can use the extra days to make up for an ‘almost pass’ if you pass just use them to fun dive …

Obviously won’t work if you are too far from a pass but you can still work on getting closer to a pass …

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom