Open Water: Saint Lawrence River Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a jkt style bcd, back inflate or wing? Weight belt or ditchable weights. A back inflate or wing with ditchables, will restrict air flow in your drysuit much less than a jkt style bcd, or a weight belt. I know a lot of divers who use a weight harness with ditchables, as they are not as restricitng as a tight weight belt.
I have a jacket inflate-Mares SLS, cumber-bun, snap belt. 2 removable side snap weight pockets and 2 non removable pockets in back. Last time I dived I had too much weight in the side pockets causing bulkiness and hindered movement. Next time I dive I want to experiment with ways to increase airflow in my suit

having your primary on a necklace is a matter of choice.
Exactly, my choice. Yes I could do the arm sweep, but I chose to not have to do that if my reg comes out. Especially handy on shore exits with rough conditions.
I have a jacket inflate-Mares SLS, cumber-bun, snap belt. 2 removable side snap weight pockets and 2 non removable pockets in back. Last time I dived I had too much weight in the side pockets causing bulkiness and hindered movement. Next time I dive I want to experiment with ways to increase airflow in my suit
Maybe try a back inflate style, shop demo? Much less restrictive than a jkt stlye. Most new divers tend to start out, overweighted. I started cutting weights, after my 1st OW class dive, during my surface interval. I have a Scubapro Hydros, which I had purchased used. It is the only bcd I have dived with, and love how the back inflate sure helps with trim.

@Mr. Ed when is your next class time to finish OW? With all that you've been through in getting certified, I would not buy any more equipment until you have your C-card in hand.
No I’m not buying more gear. I’m going to make my dry suit work. SB has been extremely helpful sharing information about Dry suit diving. I will reach behind my head to recover regulator

Exactly, my choice. Yes I could do the arm sweep, but I chose to not have to do that if my reg comes out. Especially handy on shore exits with rough conditions.

Maybe try a back inflate style, shop demo? Much less restrictive than a jkt stlye. Most new divers tend to start out, overweighted. I started cutting weights, after my 1st OW class dive, during my surface interval. I have a Scubapro Hydros, which I had purchased used. It is the only bcd I have dived with, and love how the back inflate sure helps with trim.
I prefer jacket style BCD, tried back inflate too unstable pushed me forward

I prefer jacket style BCD, tried back inflate too unstable pushed me forward
The "pushing" forward, I noticed at 1st too. Then I started to put less air in. Pushing went away. It took me around 20 dives to figure it out. More than made up for the wrap around effect of a jkt style. A BP/W would give the same feeling to a new diver, I was told.

With a crotch strap, I can inflate my entire backplate wing to full capacity and lean back and use it like a pool mattress, floating under the sun and sky while I lazily kick my way to my destination.

If you are performing a reg recovery skill do you remove your primary from your necklace? I may be wrong, but having your primary on a necklace is a matter of choice.
I'm confused. If you are doing a reg recovery of your primary, it's not on the necklace by definition. Otherwise, there would be nothing to recover, as you know exactly where it is.

Just for clarification let's agree on some things, as I think we are mixing some things up. Primary is the 2nd stage that you are breathing on. Secondary is the octopus. Some agencies/instructors teach primary donate, some teach secondary donate. You should be aware of both.

In primary donate where a necklace is involved, the necklace is usually (though Gandalf does differently) holding the secondary, not the primary. In the event of a primary retrieval, you can either do the arm sweep or the over the head regulator grab, but the necklace is securing the secondary.

In secondary donate, the octopus (donor) is usually secured in a different manner. Having it on a necklace is less beneficial in this situation. I've never heard of securing the secondary with a necklace in a secondary donate configuration.

In primary donate where a necklace is involved, the necklace is usually (though Gandalf does differently)
Correct for me, I still have a bright yellow octo, for any diver that is in distress. My primary, I just chose to not have to look for it, by putting it on a necklace. I also sling a 30cu pony, diagonally across my chest. I am usually diving Solo, even in a group of divers.

Back
Top Bottom