Open Water: Saint Lawrence River Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you taking your O/W checkout dives in a drysuit? If so, it's too much going on for a neophyte. Cold open water for the first time is generally going to be a challenge with a wet suit, hood, additional weights, etc. Adding a change from an aluminum to a steel cylinder and a drysuit is asking for trouble. Sensory overload, can lead to mental stress.

Were you taking your O/W checkout dives in a drysuit? If so, it's too much going on for a neophyte. Cold open water for the first time is generally going to be a challenge with a wet suit, hood, additional weights, etc. Adding a change from an aluminum to a steel cylinder and a drysuit is asking for trouble. Sensory overload, can lead to mental stress.

Lots of people do OW and drysuit at the same time. I did it and lived.

Quality instruction..... There are numerous shops that do it that way... It isn't a weekend course

You’re talking to a not yet certified diver.
My instructor made me take off my necklace during my OW. It went straight back on my reg right after the course.
OW in a dry suit is neccesary in some parts of the world. Here on Vancouver Island, all the local shops, teach OW in dry suits. I use steel tanks too, as it removes lead from my ditchables.

chuckles ... she would'nt let me sling the 13cu pony I had too .... 1st dive after cert though, the pony was with me. I think the PADI elearning, covered pony bottles, for about 45 seconds.

You’re posting in a new divers area. Not cool.

Back
Top Bottom