Question Tech Diving Habits for Open Water Students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most important habit that a tech Diver can teach, is how to say: "If you can't do XXXXX our way, you should pick a new hobby."

They say that with such perfect composure. Very impressive. Much condescension.

Crude. But I think you get my point.

While these are good skills, techniques, and knowledge to introduce and emphasize, instructors are not permitted to create their own standards. For evaluation and certification, we may only apply agency standards.
Do you mean to tell me that if you advised your students to utilize the primary donate configuration with the longer hose 2nd stage as their primary and the shorter hose 2nd stage worn on a necklace, that would violate your training agency's standards?!?
Is that what I said? No it is not.

That is literally exactly what you said.

Most important habit that a tech Diver can teach, is how to say: "If you can't do XXXXX our way, you should pick a new hobby."

They say that with such perfect composure. Very impressive. Much condescension.

Crude. But I think you get my point.
I know you intended this comment to maybe share some pain you've experienced in the tech diving community (which is totally valid), but it does make a good point. I do want to try and teach my students that no matter how experienced they may be or what certs they may have, they will always have something to learn and should learn to keep an open mind (and critically evaluate what works for them, or may not).

Kind of like the whole backplate/wing thing. I'm not going to tell every open water student to go out and buy one. It may not be right for them, especially depending on what type of diving they want to do. But I'd definitely encourage them to try it, along with a back inflate or hybrid BCD.

Not all of us are cool enough to be tech divers...but we can all learn from each other, and the hard-learned lessons from more extreme forms of diving to improve the safety and enjoyment of everyday recreational diving

That is literally exactly what you said.
It is not. You are just being argumentative. If you read my post, what I said was,

“While these are good skills, techniques, and knowledge to introduce and emphasize, instructors are not permitted to create their own standards. For evaluation and certification, we may only apply agency standards.”

I literally said I agree those skills are good to teach. However, as I also stated that you cannot require them for certification if they are not in the standards. That is simple fact. You don’t have to like it but that’s the way it is. If an instructor wants to exceed standard (meaning to add evaluation criteria) they must submit the new skills or knowledge to their agency for approval first.

You can teach additional skills, just not evaluate them. I teach long hose but can’t require it. I teach many finning techniques but can’t require back finning.

Back to the OP, I agree we should instill good habits and good gear configuration. We do this by setting the example and providing encouragement. The primary objective for OW students is to make them safe beginner divers who are excited about the journey to grow and improve their skills.

Show the students what good looks like and let them appreciate it. They might not leave the course with perfect skills but will have a target.

Show them how to problem solve their skills - think about what they do underwater, how to slow down, how to get feedback and how to learn.

Provide them with the tools to be independent divers, to go out there with their buddies.

I think building a “Tec” mindset is more important than whether someone has a good back kick or not.

I've noticed a lot of freshly certified open water divers here in Hawaii are "nervous" to go find new buddies and go diving, and I think some of it is a lack of confidence to dive without the instructor there.

Social anxiety and also living up to their buddys expectations would be my understanding of their issues
If you think they have separation anxiety then they have come up short until you organise them buddies

I literally said I agree those skills are good to teach. However, as I also stated that you cannot require them for certification if they are not in the standards. That is simple fact. You don’t have to like it but that’s the way it is. If an instructor wants to exceed standard (meaning to add evaluation criteria) they must submit the new skills or knowledge to their agency for approval first.

You can teach additional skills, just not evaluate them. I teach long hose but can’t require it. I teach many finning techniques but can’t require back finning.
How many of your OW students come in to the class already owning equipment? If you provide them with the loaner/rental gear you want them to train in, or advise them on their purchases, I don't see a need to "require" anything.

By the way, you are the only one in this thread talking about certification and evaluation. It's a red herring. The OP, and pretty much everyone else, is discussing what should be taught, not what should be evaluated. This context is what made several posters think you were implying that you shouldn't exceed the standards in TEACHING.

that can help set them up for success, reduce risk, and help them as they continue to more advanced training?
Great suggestions. I was thinking it’s the snazzy equipment that makes you stand apart from the rest of the other divers. I like the concept of the long hose, plus the majority of my equipment will be purchased second hand. I’ve been reading back plate and wing is the go to brand. I want a one piece harness without cheap plastic buckles like the ones I see at my LDS.

Show the students what good looks like and let them appreciate it. They might not leave the course with perfect skills but will have a target.

Show them how to problem solve their skills - think about what they do underwater, how to slow down, how to get feedback and how to learn.

Provide them with the tools to be independent divers, to go out there with their buddies.

I think building a “Tec” mindset is more important than whether someone has a good back kick or not.
This is an excellent point that needs driven home.
I made it through my first few courses being told i was an excellent diver and had nothing to be concerned about. And i believed it because as far as i could tell i was diving just as well as my instructors (who also sat on their knees to do skills). My first few open water dives i was taught to make a circle around the quarry because we couldn’t return the way we went in do to the viz being so kicked up by us.
It wasn’t until i was interested in becoming a divemaster that i saw an instructor who had true buoyancy control and used frog kicks. It. Blew. My. Mind…
Now that i’m an instructor i know that my brand new students aren’t going to be perfect, but they are going to meet the higher standards of my agency and they are going to see me and my divemasters setting examples of what they should continue to strive for after Certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom