Question Tech Diving Habits for Open Water Students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Primary donate.
Was going to say the same thing.

This should really be adopted as the standard from day-1 of OW.

I really can't see any reason for this not to be the norm.

While these are good skills, techniques, and knowledge to introduce and emphasize, instructors are not permitted to create their own standards. For evaluation and certification, we may only apply agency standards.

While these are good skills, techniques, and knowledge to introduce and emphasize, instructors are not permitted to create their own standards. For evaluation and certification, we may only apply agency standards.
Which points mentioned would break the standards of your agency? Are you really saying that you're not "allowed" to go beyond the minimum required by your agency? That sounds very sad, and possibly a cop out...

Cross over to a different agency. Every agency I'm an instructor with allows me to teach beyond their minimum standards and requires me to use the "loved one" concept as the final say on whether or not a person earns their certification.

You are correct, but it is possible to look for agencies that have these as standard. I have been an instructor for multiple agencies as well as taken classes through several others, but i teach 99% of my classes through raid because of their focus on quality and learning things in a “tec” concept right from the beginning.

PS.
GUE's recreational program does all of this, that might be a place to look for inspiration.
I do want to eventually take the GUE course, there are just none available in my area right now. I've heard good things about it though

Teach them what their computer tells them and how to "respond to it".
I've heard a few times "my computer told me DECO, So I had to get out of the water and to the boat" instead of doing the only sensible thing, follow the Deco schedule.
It's funny you mention that; I teach both SDI and PADI, and since SDI puts a heavy emphasis on learning your computer, I have my students use both a puck style and "smartwatch" style computer (Garmin Descent) so they have a general idea of how both work. I pulled diagrams from the instruction manual on what the deco modes look like and explain how it works to the students.

For my advanced students (who didn't take open water with me), I always ask if they've read the instruction manual for their computer, and if they can walk me through how to change air modes, dive planner mode, and what Deco mode looks like. It's startling to realize how many don't know how to use it beyond basic functions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom