Open Water: Saint Lawrence River Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finish my OWC dive this weekend at Seveys Boatyard Looking forward to applying SB suggestions regarding dry suit and a host of other helpful and insightful topics from experienced divers. :smalllogo::like:
That's awesome. I know this has been a journey for you. It shouldn't have been as hard as it was, but you stuck it out.

I think we have the makings of another Disney movie...

Time to change your profile and get rid of that "None - Not Certified". Congrats!

By the way, is there a way to zip/unzip back entry dry suit without assistance?

I finish my OWC dive this weekend at Seveys Boatyard Looking forward to applying SB suggestions regarding dry suit and a host of other helpful and insightful topics from experienced divers. :smalllogo::like:
Wishing you a comfortable and successful checkout! If I can impart any wisdom whatsoever - calm is key. Know you can - then do it. :)

Please give us a report, including conditions. As my son will attending college in Ithaca starting in August, I have interest in what is available for diving in the finger lakes for the next 6 years.

I'm confused. If you are doing a reg recovery of your primary, it's not on the necklace by definition. Otherwise, there would be nothing to recover, as you know exactly where it is.

Just for clarification let's agree on some things, as I think we are mixing some things up. Primary is the 2nd stage that you are breathing on. Secondary is the octopus. Some agencies/instructors teach primary donate, some teach secondary donate. You should be aware of both.

In primary donate where a necklace is involved, the necklace is usually (though Gandalf does differently) holding the secondary, not the primary. In the event of a primary retrieval, you can either do the arm sweep or the over the head regulator grab, but the necklace is securing the secondary.

In secondary donate, the octopus (donor) is usually secured in a different manner. Having it on a necklace is less beneficial in this situation. I've never heard of securing the secondary with a necklace in a secondary donate configuration.
I briefly worked with a shop which promotes secondary donate with secondary on a necklace (40” hose routed under arm). It meets standards as it’s still within the “golden triangle” under the chin. Not much different then clipping the secondary to a chest d-ring, just more central (they used those longer rubber necklaces). Not my preference but it worked. As with any configuration, as long as the people you dive with know where it is and how to access it before they need to.

Back
Top Bottom