Open Water: Saint Lawrence River Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got certified today at Sevey's Boatyard at Seveys Boatyard Inc | On Skaneateles Lake | Below New Hope off NY 41A at Glen Cove | Featuring New & Pre-Owned Boats as well as Rentals, Service, Moorings and Dockage Completed required skills in 3 dives.
Visibility was variable, water temperature was tolerable. 3rd I removed my hood without issue. With the excess weight of dry suit, poundage and steel tank overall was too much for me to manage topside and before submersion, I got tired and my legs buckled beneath me. Once the atmosphere changed, I was alright. After 3 dives, I walked to the shore and prepared to dive home. The dive took a lot out of me. However, today's experience was better than my first dive at the Saint Lawrence River.
My dry suit may have kept me warm, but it was a huge hindrance to me when diving.

I got certified today at Sevey's Boatyard at Seveys Boatyard Inc | On Skaneateles Lake | Below New Hope off NY 41A at Glen Cove | Featuring New & Pre-Owned Boats as well as Rentals, Service, Moorings and Dockage Completed required skills in 3 dives.
Visibility was variable, water temperature was tolerable. 3rd I removed my hood without issue. With the excess weight of dry suit, poundage and steel tank overall was too much for me to manage topside and before submersion, I got tired and my legs buckled beneath me. Once the atmosphere changed, I was alright. After 3 dives, I walked to the shore and prepared to dive home. The dive took a lot out of me. However, today's experience was better than my first dive at the Saint Lawrence River.
My dry suit may have kept me warm, but it was a huge hindrance to me when diving.
@Mr. Ed how has your diving been going?

I prefer jacket style BCD, tried back inflate too unstable pushed me forward
Yes, as it should, it will push you forward INTO horizontal proper trim for diving which will be extremely stable. Remember, this is a buoyancy compensation device for diving underwater, not a personal floatation device designed to keep you head up vertical on the surface.

By the way, is there a way to zip/unzip back entry dry suit without assistance?
Yes
Option 1) get more flexible
Option 2) put a short length of cord on the zipper pull so you can get more leverage. It's like zipping a wetsuit but sideways instead of up.
Option 3) use a cord or strap or bungee. Attach one end to a tree or fence or whatever at or above shoulder height (I use the ladder rack on my truck or a railing on a boat) and clip the other end to the zipper pull with a double ender or whatever. Now turn your back and move sideways.
I find the key with any of these methods is to pull out a little away from your back rather than straight to the side. This helps pull the zipper a bit away from the undies so they are less likely to get caught. Still may need to go slow and tuck in a few times, but it does work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom