Open Vs. Full Foot Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Brad

Reaction score
Ok guys........I have to know. I am a open foot kind of a guy but have lost ONE nice Tusa velocity fin down to the merky waters of Lake Powell never to be found again.

The questions is: What do you prefer............Open or Full foot fins? Or are you an either sort of diver. When does your preference change?

Have you made modifications to the fins so they will forever stay attached?

Let me know.

Happy Diving

Open foot with spring straps.
When my feet in my drysuit expand, so will the springs. When I vent the DS the springs contract. I have yet to have a fin come off unless I've taken it off myself.

For shore-based or cold water: open-heel

tropics and subtropics: full foot

Hi,

I used open heel..........free diving used full foot....

Cheer
Jason

I prefer full foot whenever possible. N

Open heel for several reasons.
One of which is that diving full fin on a liveaboard, many people including me develop sores on their feet which are hard to heel while repeatedly wet.

Another is that I can walk to the edge of the boat in my boots and fin up in a few seconds, quicker than with a full fin.

Im from the Philippines. I love full foots, they are lighter and feel better. If it were not for the rocky shore entries in Anilao, I would wear them all the time.

open heal fins for sure , try the mares straps with the safety locks , i dive in some pretty hellish tides and haven't lost a fin yet.(knock on wood!)their a bit bulky but their durable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom