Open Vs. Full Foot Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

open heel every time.

Depends, snorkelling off a nice sandy beach with no rocks in warm water, full foot can be better. Also lighter to pack on those trips where weight is at a premium.
OTOH if there is a risk that you have to walk over 2 miles of rocks in shallow surf then you will curse your full foot fins every inch of the way.
Off a boat then it really depends on the water temperature.
It also depends on the number of stingy, bitey type critters in the water. Open heel will give you full coverage & protection.
So each has advantages in specific situations.

Open heel and no fancy clip in the back that allows the strap to easily come apart. I like my jets, just slip the strap over your heel to don/doff.
Ber :lilbunny:

Scuba Brad:
Ok guys........I have to know. I am a open foot kind of a guy but have lost ONE nice Tusa velocity fin down to the merky waters of Lake Powell never to be found again.

The questions is: What do you prefer............Open or Full foot fins? Or are you an either sort of diver. When does your preference change?

Have you made modifications to the fins so they will forever stay attached?

Let me know.

Happy Diving

Open heel of course. I wear a boot and can use that over coral/sand/rocks whatever.

Forever attached? Super Glue:D

I changed the strap to spring straps (my DIY verson). It's not going anywhere unless I drop it.

Open heel...

The bootie varies by the rest of the attire :)

The best is...Chuck Taylor All Stars with the DRY SUIT :)

Paul in VT

Open heel anytime I am on Scuba. Recently started using full foot for free diving from a nice sandy beach.

Back
Top Bottom