Fin questions/advice for open ocean Tahiti trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Thanks for the support and for letting us know. Go with the GORGEOUS ones, LOL.

If the MAKO pockets feel a little big you can wear a low cut athletic cotton sock if you don't want to purchase a thin neoprene sock.

As for which fins are better for you? You might try swimming a fixed distance underwater that you are comfortable with and trying to figure out which one made it easier. Generally a fiberglass blade should be more efficient than a plastic blade (like the Cressi Sub), but it is something you will have to decide for yourself. Another comparative test might be a surface swim of 100 yards which each pair of fins and see if you are more fatigued with one or the other.

PLEASE make sure you have a good person watching you very carefully if you try any breathholding (swimming or static) in any kind of water- even a shallow pool.

I'm going to take them to the pool at the gym (it's only 3-4 feet deep unfortunately) but it's 65 feet long so at least it'll be easier to see how my legs feel versus my friend's pool (and I will wear my snorkel gear so I can just keep going on without stopping). If I can stand the cold of New England water, I'll try them in the ocean to see about going straight out for a long distance. I should have done this all earlier this summer lol.

I also do have a neoprene sock and I bought the fin keepers from you, so I'll put those on as well. I wasn't even thinking of it today, for some reason.

And I gotta be honest, I really want to keep the pretty ones haha.

Mako fins for the win! With finkeepers and socks, the footpockets do fit better but really, the blade is just phenomenal, so I'm keeping them and now very excited for this trip in 3 weeks!

Thank you to all you guys for your help. You've been fantastic.

Oh! And Aquatech had a 40 percent off sale last week, so I ended up scooping up some housing last second. Super excited for this trip even if it puts me in the poor house haha.

Back
Top Bottom