OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I think this is my first 20-pager!

Thanks for the insight, all!

Steve_Dives:
Maybe. If they collected themselves, the water is clear, warm and calm, the boat's hang tank is right below us, and the nearest oxygen tank is a day's travel away. Weigh the risk of DCS vs. submerging.
Risk of DCS from missing safety stop ... approaching zero. Risk of submerging ... somewhat greater. Y'ze payze y'r money ... Y'ze takes Y'er chances,

Steve_Dives:
Maybe. If they collected themselves, the water is clear, warm and calm, the boat's hang tank is right below us, and the nearest oxygen tank is a day's travel away. Weigh the risk of DCS vs. submerging.

I'm glad we could agree on something today.

~ Jason

Diver Dennis:
Um, we're talking about someone dragging you by it, so it would be under a lot of tension. I've had my mask pulled off this way practicing procedures when I didn't unwrap it first, so yes it can happen.
Wow, another reason the dreaded long hose is dangerous.

caseybird:
Wow, another reason the dreaded long hose is dangerous.

how many dives have you done with a long hose?

how many times has it ...

ah, never mind ... beware that long hose voodoo

H2Andy:
how many dives have you done with a long hose?

how many times has it ...

ah, never mind ... beware that long hose voodoo

Allright, you and Soggy got me. I wasn't serious about the last one. However, I'd hate to lose my mask in an emergency.
(edited because I don't want Soggy to think I was ignoring him. Plus, I agreed with him about cave and other restricted environments in post #99. (you can look it up) )

oh, no doubt...

me too

for what it's worth, we practice an air share excercise every dive we do. by now, handing off your primary (on a long hose) is second nature

if someone comes and grabs it (could happen), it will jar your neck, but won't really affect your mask

there is a spot (from above you, to your left) that if they grab the reg and pull on the hose at the right angle, it could disloge your mask.

but that's ok, because i know how to replace my mask and clear it. if it gets completely removed, that's ok too, because i carry a spare on my left thigh pocket.

i carry my second bungied on my neck, so putting that into my mouth takes less than a second.

Soggy:
I can assure you, the long hose is not wrapped around the neck in any way, shape, or form. Either you don't understand the routing, or your friend is an accident waiting to happen.

I'm pretty sure that around the neck is how I should describe it.
But then again, he did many things in the wrong way, often endanger himself, learning only by scratching the surface and then showed off 'I know more/better', but everybody knew his style, so hopefully no one would adopt his way.
But now I heard, he had grown better and wiser.

ReefHound:
Don't discount the value of keyboard problem solving. It certainly doesn't replace actual training and practice, but mentally rehearsing procedures can be beneficial in allowing you to react calmly and rationally.

I might not put it clear, I guess Bob helped me explain it well.

NWGratefulDiver:
Not really ... the problem won't be an intellectual exercise when it happens. You will be severely task-loaded ... to the point where you may or may not be able to think about something that was discussed on an Internet forum.

Exactly.
What I was trying to do is to assess the situation and than put it in my condition, my diving style, the way I most likely to react when it really happen to me out there. It might not be the heroic type, but that's what I likely do and I explained how and why. Discussion might offer the best solution but imo, nobody can be sure how they would react unless they have been in the exact same situation, out there, in the water.

ReefHound:
So I guess we can just eliminate the classroom sessions from the Rescue course?

Don't conclude thing in black and white.

I did experience the advantage of theory seassion or 'keyboard solving'.
I was trapped in a situation where I flooded my mask, couldn't see, and the up current carried me up and tried to bring me to the surface/smash me to something else. I read the same case before, unfortunately what I remember, it was an fatal case. In ideal situation, I, me or you can say just clear the mask and grab some rock or communicate with buddy, which is reasonable things you choose to do. But things are not happening the same way, the ideal solutions might not possible to carry out in real situation and you are force to think fast with the limited possiblities, scared and panic factors. Some gifted people might be able to do the best thing but some others might not be able to do it by the book and rely on their instinct of survival.
The plus thing in my case was, although it kept repeating in my mind that that person in this situation ended up dead, which is not my favorite thing to think of at that moment, I was lucky that it also remind me that I really had to be calm to get through the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom