OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason, although I agree with you about a great many things, I have to say that in-water decompression after a rapid ascent on a recreational dive probably isn't something that adds up. Your risk of being seriously bent is low, so what you're accomplishing by trying to do in-water recompression is questionable. But the risk of drowning if you DO develop serious DCS symptoms, and you're in the water without a full face mask and without a support diver, is ugly.

Even the people who ADVOCATE in-water recompression do so when the probability of DCS is high, there is available support, and there is no decompression chamber readily available.

TSandM:
Jason, although I agree with you about a great many things, I have to say that in-water decompression after a rapid ascent on a recreational dive probably isn't something that adds up. Your risk of being seriously bent is low, so what you're accomplishing by trying to do in-water recompression is questionable. But the risk of drowning if you DO develop serious DCS symptoms, and you're in the water without a full face mask and without a support diver, is ugly.

Even the people who ADVOCATE in-water recompression do so when the probability of DCS is high, there is available support, and there is no decompression chamber readily available.

How is this contrary to what I'm saying?

~ Jason

TSandM:

in-water recompression is not the same as omited deco stops.

If you cannot get your buddy to stop, you're going to have to ditch your buddy.

Now before you rip the reg out of your buddies mouth:

1. Dump your BC and suit.
2. Grab your buddy and try and make eye contact.
3. Dump your buddies air.
4. Give your buddy some textile sensation ie: Give them a good shake to jolt them out of their shock.
Last resort would be to yank the octo out of their mouth and wait for them to pass out. Then start a rescue.

darkpup:
Oh, I get it. It's the "you're right, and I'm wrong" line of reasoning. Ooooh, it's so clear now.

~ Jason
In this case that happens to be correct, sorry if that hurts your feelings, that was not my intent, this is a two plus two equals four question, not a matter of opinion. I just started out trying to clarify some confusion.

TSandM:

There you go, a good explanation of why going back down exposes you to an increased risk of drowning. I think I'll stay on the surface after a rapid ascent in most cases.

If the time on the surface is less than 5 minutes and your buddy is calm, relaxed, and squared away, you could head back down for a safety stop.

If the risk of DCS is low, no point in performing an omitted "safety stop". If the risk is high, the danger of performing the stop is significant, and unless this is the ONLY option (diving hundreds of miles from the nearest chamber) it's probably not a good answer.

I wouldn't get back in the water, myself.

Thalassamania is right....in water recompression because of an accelerated ascent and missed safety stop is probably not the best idea. Actually, in-water recompression is rarely a good idea unless you are far far away from a chamber and have an FFM mask on board.

In my uneducated opinion, the act of going back down to safety stop depth would probably do more harm than good, as you would be recompressing whatever bubbles are in your blood and allowing them to pass back through your heart.

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, you also ignored what I have clearly stated in asking the question to which I responded.

If you don't like the tactic, don't use it ... framing a question that takes someone's comments out of context is a rather pointless way to conduct a discussion.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Taking statements out of context is precisely what you did by giving your lecture on how mental preparation without in water training is ineffective since I never suggested that it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom