OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Not at all ... but you cannot also rely on just those. That's why you have both pool and open water in-water skills practice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think I had clearly stated that it "certainly doesn't replace actual training and practice".

ArcticDiver:
Just trying to pick up the context of your statement; an imperfect thing at best on a web site like this.

You seemed to be saying that you and your buddy were so familiar with each other and with each other's abilities that essentially nothing could happen that y'all couldn't handle and that you could count on a competent response.

My comment was pointed in that context.
No, we can all dream up a situation that is wierd and unusual enough to create panic (and more) but such situations are, by definition, several decimal places out.

Within acceptable limits (and we call all argue about what that exactly is till we're bule in the face, in the final analysis that's a judgement call), yes, I can count on a competent response from my buddies to the sorts of problems that will persent themselves.

I don't expect that from students and I don't expect all buddies to be equally competent (that's why we certify 30 ft., 60 ft., 100 ft., etc.). But when I'm out with another diver who hold a 200 ft card and has several thousand dives under his or her belt and has made hundreds of those dives with me and has been part of my training cadre for a number of years ... well ... I think that I can expect (barring giant squid or something similar) a competent reponse.

ReefHound:
Of course not, we're talking about the one who was not OOA and remained calm but ascended with a diver in distress.

Are you really suggesting that every diver in that situation would be safe to go back down to finish up a safety stop?

Since the words I've used already to explain that each diver must make their own decision whether or not the risk of drowning out weighs the risk of a DCS hit when considering in water deco / safety stops after an emergency ascent, please give me the words that will help you understand this. It would make things a lot easier.

~ Jason

darkpup:
finish up a safety stop ... the risk of a DCS hit when considering in water deco / safety stops after an emergency ascent
It's a "safety stop" for gods' sake not a required staged decompression stop, there is no utility in treating it as though it were "ommitted decompression."

ReefHound:
I think I had clearly stated that it "certainly doesn't replace actual training and practice".
Well, you also ignored what I have clearly stated in asking the question to which I responded.

If you don't like the tactic, don't use it ... framing a question that takes someone's comments out of context is a rather pointless way to conduct a discussion.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thalassamania:
It's a "safety stop" for gods' sake not a required staged decompression stop, there is no utility in treating it as though it were "ommitted decompression."

Whatever... You call it what you want, and I'll do the same.

~ Jason

darkpup:
Whatever... You call it what you want, and I'll do the same.

~ Jason
There are defined terms, they are not open to "call it what you want." Unless of course your objective is simply obfustication.

Thalassamania:
There are defined terms, they are not open to "call it what you want." Unless of course your objective is simply obfustication.

Oooooh.... The sky is falling, the sky is falling... Thal doesn't agree with the way I describe in water decompression for recreational dives....

Big Whoop!

~ Jason

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm taking whatever steps are necessary to disengage and allow the diver to surface unassisted. First rule of rescue ... don't allow yourself to become a second victim. Make your ascent as safely and expeditiously as you can, and get to the surface in shape to be of some assistance if it's needed.

I'm nowhere near experienced as many of my fellow SB'rs, but I think that NWGratefulDiver has offered the most sage advices on this topic....

darkpup:
Oooooh.... The sky is falling, the sky is falling... Thal doesn't agree with the way I describe in water decompression for recreational dives....

Big Whoop!

~ Jason
No, it's not a question of what I think, it's a question of how you think.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom