OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseybird:
So this 7 foot hose, it's wrapped around your neck, Correct? So this panicing diver is dragging you to the surface wih the primary hose wrapped around YOUR neck,getting tighter? And you"re going to get control of the diver, vent his BC, maintain eye contact, AND get your secondary into your mouth? And you think poor old Nemrod is the troll?

I didn't respond to this because I actually thought you were kidding.

No, the long hose is not AROUND your neck, at least not in any way different from any regulator. It goes BEHIND your neck. The only way to choke someone is if you attacked them from behind and the left, but this would be true of any regulator routed from the right side.

If someone rips the regulator out of my mouth, a simple tuck of the head causes the thing to deploy down to the canister light. Don't make comments about equipment that you don't have even a fundamental understand about.

in_cavediver:
I highly doubt getting neutral to take fins off would be acceptable to him.

Not talking about giving him a choice. Talking about forcibly removing them while he attempts to scramble to the surface.

True Soggy but in ducking your head the hose may well take your mask off as well. I agree that it would be difficult to be choked. If that happened, I would be grabbing the hose and yanking it out of his mouth before he pulled me up.

Some of the comments in this thread cause me to wonder how much time the people making them have actually spent in the water. In the real world, things almost never happen they way the book said they would. And they generally don't give you much time to think about it anyway ... you generally run on instinct.

Removing the fins of a bolting diver may sound like a neat idea ... but by the time you managed to grab ahold of one, you'd both be on the surface.

And the person who mentioned getting "choked" by a 7-foot hose has obviously never seen ... much less attempted to use ... one.

Ah well ... at least it's entertaining ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As far as grabbing them and pulling their fins off or whatever, as I described in the incident I posted earlier, you can have someone start dragging you up before you know what's happening. My instinct in a situation like that is to think about my own safety first.

Soggy:
I didn't respond to this because I actually thought you were kidding.

No, the long hose is not AROUND your neck, at least not in any way different from any regulator. It goes BEHIND your neck. The only way to choke someone is if you attacked them from behind and the left, but this would be true of any regulator routed from the right side.

If someone rips the regulator out of my mouth, a simple tuck of the head causes the thing to deploy down to the canister light. Don't make comments about equipment that you don't have even a fundamental understand about.

Quote from the GUE website:
www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

" The long hose runs straight down the wing, under the light canister (if one is worn, if not it is routed around the knife, or tucked into the belt), back up the left side, and around the neck; the attached second stage is then placed in one's mouth and breathed"

Maaybe I don't understand the Fundamentals, but I sure can read. Now please tell me why you think I'm kidding.

It goes around the BACK of the neck so unless they grab the reg from behind you on the left you can't be choked. If they did grab you like that, even the regular set up would choke you.

If i'm being dragged up by rocket buddy either he's hanging on to the hose or i've got one diesel mouthpiece. If the former, it's unlikely you could yank the reg as a last resort. I'd be more likely go utilility company and turn off the gas.

caseybird:
Maaybe I don't understand the Fundamentals, but I sure can read. Now please tell me why you think I'm kidding.

you can read, but you didn't understand

think through the process described, as described, and you will visualize why what you say is not the correct meaning. why would anyone wrap a hose around their neck on purpose?

however, a more precise wording would be: "and over the back of the neck"

True Soggy but in ducking your head the hose may well take your mask off as well.

A diver with a 7' hose has to duck the head a little when donating gas in the first place. It really does not have much of a chance of ripping the donaters mask off. That is unless they are wearing a snorkel... in which case they should not be diving, but snorkeling :)

I think this discussion is over. Air sharing is safer and more comfortable when the primary regulator is donated and that same regulator is on a long hose. Diving is safer when divers don't freak and bolt to the surface.

As to the original poster... don't go to 100' unless you are sure your new "buddy" can handle themselves. You can be sure of this by diving with them a few times before that and getting to know them a little bit better. Of course this exempts people who use insta buddies... find a random civilian and add water - lets go diving! 100'! whoo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom