OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseybird:
So this 7 foot hose, it's wrapped around your neck, Correct? So this panicing diver is dragging you to the surface wih the primary hose wrapped around YOUR neck,getting tighter? And you"re going to get control of the diver, vent his BC, maintain eye contact, AND get your secondary into your mouth? And you think poor old Nemrod is the troll?

No. You have already deployed the 7ft hose and have the diver on your primary. Then he bolts as per the OP.

If he tried to get my primary (7ft) when it was around my neck still and then bolted, he'd never keep a hold of it on the way up. (even if I wanted him to). The mass required to move that quickly by it would be to great when coupled to the knee jerk reaction to the shock of the jolt/movement. (opposite his direction of travel)

darkpup:
I don't see how that would change things for me. It just means I'd have my buddy to help with the diver in distress, which should make slowing them down a bit easier.

~ Jason

It doesn't necessarily change how you solve the problem. The point was that you cannot prevent such a problem from involving you by simply picking a good dive buddy. The OOA victim may be somebody you don't know or even knew was in the water.

This is one of those cases where you want the faster fins :) In this scenario, what about hugging legs and removing fins? I thought that was taught in the Rescue classes?

Jarrett:
This is one of those cases where you want the faster fins :) In this scenario, what about hugging legs and removing fins? I thought that was taught in the Rescue classes?

First, you assume no panic. If this is the case, then simple communications solves the problem. If it is panic then no reasoning would work. The panicked diver simply wants to go to the surface and will do whatever it takes, rational or otherwise. I highly doubt getting neutral to take fins off would be acceptable to him.

ReefHound:
It doesn't necessarily change how you solve the problem. The point was that you cannot prevent such a problem from involving you by simply picking a good dive buddy. The OOA victim may be somebody you don't know or even knew was in the water.

Why not? If I pick AG, JJ, GI3, or MHK as my buddy, why couldn't I have them take care of the "victim" while I finish my popcorn?

~ Jason

Those nice inline isolators that stop the air when you yank sound great after this thread, you just dump your air and swim down as they go up, when they yank they cut off their air and when they realize they're holding an anchor that isn't providing air anymore they let go and take off on their own leaving you to sort things yourself.

And if a stranger were to come up and grab anything while I was diving I would likely kill the *******.

ReefHound:

I'm not sure I agree. It is true that you cannot completely isolate yourself from such events. However, how your respond to your buddy in a panic situation and how you respond to a stranger in a panic situation do not necessarily have to be the same.

Risking life and limb for your buddy is almost implied in buddy diving. Risking life and life for a stranger who did not follow good buddy protocol and then had the misfortune of running out of gas.... well, that's a profound issue.

in_cavediver:
No. You have already deployed the 7ft hose and have the diver on your primary. Then he bolts as per the OP.

If he tried to get my primary (7ft) when it was around my neck still and then bolted, he'd never keep a hold of it on the way up. (even if I wanted him to). The mass required to move that quickly by it would be to great when coupled to the knee jerk reaction to the shock of the jolt/movement. (opposite his direction of travel)

The stuff about the OOA waiting nicely until you deploy, then bolting is simply wishful thinking. I don't understand your physics theory. Please demonstrate how someone could not swim away from you with your primary hose clutched firmly in his panicked hand.
Look, all I want is a straight answer. Stop telling me it can't happen because it can't happen.
Hey, how about this? I'm willing to agree the long hose is neccessary in a cave or tight wreck, IF: you are diving with a team or buddies who understand the need to wait until it is properly deployed.
But in open water? with the hypothetical noobie, wild with panic who might snatch the reg and look for hose routing later? Better you than me, son.

darkpup:
Why not? If I pick AG, JJ, GI3, or MHK as my buddy, why couldn't I have them take care of the "victim" while I finish my popcorn?

~ Jason

J,

I know some of the guys you dive with. While not all of them are of the caliber of some of the divers you listed, I am pretty sure none of them would let you get dragged to the surface by some stranger without putting up a fight.

Web Monkey:
It's not always your buddy that's OOA. In fact, if you choose buddies carefully, it probably won't be your buddy. You never know who's going to be OOA.

Terry
That's a fact ... the person in the incident I described earlier was not my dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom