Older Poseidon Regulators Worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since my local scubapro dealer decided they were no longer going to honor scubapro's lifetime maintenance I've been thinking of replacing the regulators. My usual LDS has some older model Poseidon regs for sale. They're asking $100 for one first/second pair, and $130 for another with a long hose. Now, this LDS will service anything, he managed to drum up parts for an MK7 honker that someone gave me.

So my questions are, if I had to go to another shop - can old Poseidon regs still be serviced?

Do those sound like reasonable prices, for very well used old regulators? The shop says they were freshly serviced this month.

Do old posiedons breathe well (above say 150')?

nope, send them to me, i'll gladly take them off of your hands!

all poseidon second stages of the same style, use the same parts kits. i.e. every cyklon from 1958 until today use the same parts kits, all of the Jetstreams from whenever they came out, and all of the xstreams since they came out use the same parts kits. The first stages are different, but they still supply the parts kits for all of them going back to 1958, including all of the discontinued first stages and the tritons. All of them have adapters to use with regular hoses

Now, the question is whether or not you can find someone who knows how to service them properly is another discussion. While the Jetstream/Xstream second stages are quite possibly the simplest second stages to rebuild, and there is nothing special about the first stages, getting them tuned properly is somewhat of an art and the vast majority of technicians aren't well versed in doing so.

There is an official posiedon dealer in town. Unfortunately it's the same shop that screwed me on the scubapro regs. I won't be giving them any more of my business anytime soon. I'll either be dealing with the guy who isn't an official Poseidon dealer, or sending them somewhere. More likely the former.

Love my poseidon. Anyone can service them. Simple and bullet proof. Mine is a 1974 Cyklon 300 that has been used for ice diving and tropical diving. Beat on, abused and still works great. Here is a copy of a repair manual, pretty simple. http://www.divesafety.net/files/Poseidon_complete.pdf

I ordered a rebuild kit from Northeast Scuba( I think that was the name). I did the rebuild and don't remember anything remarkable. I did get some adapters to use the conventional thread size for the pressure gauge and octopus. Ordered those from a company in Montana, US water rescue.

The only time a dealer worked on it was the recall. They messed it up and would freeflow all the time. I fixed it myself. Cheers

Hmm, I didn't realize the threading on the ports was odd as well. I thought it was just the hoses.

all ports on my cyklon are 1/8" . they have an adapter LP to 3/8 and HP to 7/16. Mark which is which so you don't mix them up. They are stamped on the first stage. Adapters about 10 dollars apiece.

I would rather hate that tbone1004 would have to lower himself to diving with these low ranking regs. I'll take them in order to protect fellow divers from diving with them.

the second stages all use custom hoses and require adapters to go back to "standard" scuba hoses. The Cyklons are damn close, so don't try to force it on. The Jetstream and Xstream have custom hoses with OPV's built in because they are an upstream design. Many of the first stages also have metric threads on them which is just annoying, but you can buy adapters from Piranha, DGX, etc that will get them back to normal. Those are typically the older ones, I have a 1960's vintage cyklon that is metric threads, but my jetstreams are all imperial

while I own X-stream regs, I wonder why you are taking on the same condition (used/out of warranty) for what appears simply "spite"? Which SP regs are you currently using? Almost all of them are still supported, and service (if older models) can be done with aftermarket parts for a fraction of the cost, possibly by you. Service should be done when a regulator needs it, and not to provide an economic engine. Even if you are paying full price for branded parts, the service interval by need rather than calendar can have a significant impact financially.

If you are so displeased with your shop, consider others to do the work. Places like ScubaToys likely can take care of you. If I was planning on sending out, I'd have at least two sets. One to use while the other is out for work. Dive seasons are short for me, and down time is not acceptable....

Poseidon of ScubaPro, both excellent choices....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom