old school or young fool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you know that ALL the skills taught in DIR-F can also be learned in the NSS-CDS cavern course? It's all there, GEAR , TRIM , SILT CONTROL, GAS PLANNING, LIGHT AND HAND SIGNALS, all of it.

I agree somewhat / and somewhat disagree- and for that reason I took a class a few months ago with an NACD instructor - getting my cavern card...but wish I'd have done a fundies class with GUE- that said - I have read a lot of posts on here and Id like to start a post directly comparing the 'typical' NSS-CDS / NACD Cavern course to the DIRF class.... I dont personally feel the 2 are comparable.... from what I have read.
I'd really like to jump in a DIR/F class and cmpare and I want to do so - and should I soon I actually plan on making a report..... but considering the class duration of each... I do not see them being even close to the same - one is intro to overhead - one is fundamentals of diving.....

Please correct me if I am wrong....

EIGHTWGT:
I agree somewhat / and somewhat disagree- and for that reason I took a class a few months ago with an NACD instructor - getting my cavern card...but wish I'd have done a fundies class with GUE- that said - I have read a lot of posts on here and Id like to start a post directly comparing the 'typical' NSS-CDS / NACD Cavern course to the DIRF class.... I dont personally feel the 2 are comparable.... from what I have read.
I'd really like to jump in a DIR/F class and cmpare and I want to do so - and should I soon I actually plan on making a report..... but considering the class duration of each... I do not see them being even close to the same - one is intro to overhead - one is fundamentals of diving.....

Please correct me if I am wrong....
do you feel you should not have passed the cavern course? are you unsafe in an overhead environment? or do you feel that you should of had fundimental skills before taking an overhead course.

pants!:
Then why are you saying that things that are DIR are specifically "wrong"?

At the most basic, all of these things you're espousing as "wrong" are personal choices and that should be OK with you, according to your own statement.

:06:
odd, I just went through the whole thread looking for when I said "wrong". I can't find it. I did use the term "critical failure" and some might confuse this with wrong. what it means is that I see faults with this configuration. which could mean one of two things , it could be done better or it doesn't make sense. nowhere do I say wrong.(when talking about the dir system)

It's obvious that the hogarthians have an open mind about this whole issue of gear configuration. maybe if the powers at GUE would name their course "the fundimentals of the GUE diver" it wouldn't degrade threads into right and wrong. Just because I don't drink all the kool-aid doesn't mean a sip will kill me

nova:
odd, I just went through the whole thread looking for when I said "wrong". I can't find it. I did use the term "critical failure" and some might confuse this with wrong. what it means is that I see faults with this configuration. which could mean one of two things , it could be done better or it doesn't make sense. nowhere do I say wrong.(when talking about the dir system)

It's obvious that the hogarthians have an open mind about this whole issue of gear configuration. maybe if the powers at GUE would name their course "the fundimentals of the GUE diver" it wouldn't degrade threads into right and wrong. Just because I don't drink all the kool-aid doesn't mean a sip will kill me
If you can point out all this stuff that can be done better, doesn't that leave you in the same boat? Saying that you have the best way? Is this animosity coming from the fact that they say they have the best way, or that their best way conflicts with your best way?

If the course were called "GUE Fundamentals" would you still have a problem with it?

pants!:
If you can point out all this stuff that can be done better, doesn't that leave you in the same boat? Saying that you have the best way? Is this animosity coming from the fact that they say they have the best way, or that their best way conflicts with your best way?

If the course were called "GUE Fundamentals" would you still have a problem with it?
I never said "best way" either, I said "better" as in better than what's there now. that's all. Is my way better? it is for me.

If it was called GUE fundimentals than that would make sense , because it would imply that this is their way of diving and not the right way, No right and wrong just their own way

the only wrong way to dive is if you get bent or die , all other is open for debate

nova:
do you feel you should not have passed the cavern course? are you unsafe in an overhead environment? or do you feel that you should of had fundimental skills before taking an overhead course.

I do not feel that way at all....not in the slightest. I am completely comfortable in an overhead enviroment and plan to continue my overhead training.... :D

I want to take the fundies class to learn - period - from others point of view, and a broader view. If you learn one thing that can save your life, make a dive safer - then the 350 or so dollars to take a DIRF class is well worth it. I do not look at myself as an advanced diver but one who is open minded to learn from anyone.... so I dont care if Lamar Hires is teaching me, Larry Green, Johnny Richards, George Irvine, Jarrod J., David Rhea, you name them... - I do not care - I only want to learn.....

nova:
If it was called GUE fundimentals than that would make sense , because it would imply that this is their way of diving and not the right way, No right and wrong just their own way
So actually it doesn't seem to be what they are doing that you are complaining about....just what they call it.

nova:
the only wrong way to dive is if you get bent or die , all other is open for debate
So kicking up the silt and spoiling everyone elses dive, mishandling the sea life so that again no-one else gets a look in, trashing the coral, kicking someones mask off their face - or camera out of their hand, etc etc - this is just debatable?

You're very tolerant!!!

Kim:
So actually it doesn't seem to be what they are doing that you are complaining about....just what they call it.

So kicking up the silt and spoiling everyone elses dive, mishandling the sea life so that again no-one else gets a look in, trashing the coral, kicking someones mask off their face - or camera out of their hand, etc etc - this is just debatable?

You're very tolerant!!!
ah, Kim, I don't complain about anything , I just dive and let the chips fall were they may.as far as divers silting up the muck, trashing the coral ect. all that's been happening sense the first diver went under. I try not to hang around with that type of diver. I'm interested in new techniques and current events about diving. SB (and other boards) are to dive news what cable tv is to the news networks. That's why I surf through here. It's all about realtime dive news and techniques. The sad part is that with the invent of the DIR system not a whole lot of people are willing to discuse new dive sites and techniques used in those sites for fear of the "in crew " flaming them and their ideas. No diver is perfect , all can learn. That's the nice thing about hogarthian style of diving. It's the search for perfection not the end game. Tolerant? not by a long shot.

nova:
The sad part is that with the invent of the DIR system not a whole lot of people are willing to discuse new dive sites and techniques used in those sites for fear of the "in crew " flaming them and their ideas.
I have no such fear. I also don't see it as the prevailing thing on SB. There are a lot of divers here who have nothing much to do with DIR and are willing to discuss a whole range of issues. Sure, the DIR crowd have their own forum that is protected - as do the solo divers and the hunters. This is more because other people seem to have problems with them and go to many lengths to be disruptive on any of these topics - it is no indication that SB supports any of these groups per se.

If people didn't feel so threatened that they acted like that in the first place - those protections wouldn't be necessary.

nova:
.....for fear of the "in crew " flaming them and their ideas.

Flaming is actually against the TOS - no matter who does it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom