October 27 and 28th camp dive weekend windy point interested?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D

Who is bringing a pumpkin to carve underwater Saturday night, in the spirit of diving, knife skills and halloween?

Shawn O'Shea

:14:

I will have a pumpkin.....whether it gets carved or not, I'm not sure.

Hmmmm...I wonder how deep we can take a pumpkin before it implodes? :D

Also, I brought back a bunch of firewood from the Piney Woods of East Texas this weekend, so we should be set for Friday night at least.
:D
Nice.
This is great camping weather!
Firewood is covered... don't worry about Saturday

Here's an idea...tell me what you think, Swampers. (Especially Shawn since this weekend is his brainchild.)

Since we'll be doing some fabulous Travis diving, what does everyone think about us planning some "purpose-driven" dives? Maybe we could work on navigation (my weakness!!)...or maybe search/rescue skills?

Whacha think??

Hey campers (literally) -

I've been neglecting my lurking on scubaboard, evidently... "Purpose-driven dives" - you are singing my song. My buddies and I usually spend at least one day a week doing drills/working on skills (my immediate goal is to become full-cave certified and on the path towards my Abe Davis Safe Cave Diving award. Right now I have my intro/basic cave certification through NSS-CDS and am taking classes in Florida). Lately we have been trying to figure how many different ways we can try to drown/entangle/confuse ourselves (one at a time) and get out of it... fun! Anyway, I'm always interested in meeting other people who are interested in improving their skills.

Anyway, I'll be out there Friday afternoon w/ tent, tanks, chocolate, graham crackers, firewood, and lots of water. I have to leave Saturday morning and plan to come back either late Saturday night or Sunday morning for more diving. Poker sounds fun (although I think you're planning on doing that on Saturday?), and I'd be up for more of that or something similar Sunday if anyone else is. I also had a fantasy of going to look for the scoreboard over on the public side, depending on conditions/divers.

Looking forward to it!
Joanna

Hey Joanna, welcome to the board..

I wouldn't call finding the scoreboard much of a fantasy, it's easily done on a steel 95 and a good set of fins. Just get in on the last set of stairs, and kick over towards public side around 70 feet or so. I know there was a way where you could start shallow and find the platform with the TV and recliner, and there was a steel line from there to the grotto directly below the scoreboard. If you can find that one, you should be able to find the scoreboard with minimal decompression obligation, if any. But I am not certain of the status of the platform (used to be around 30 feet or so when the lake was full, but I think it got moved during the drought).

I wouldn't call finding the scoreboard much of a fantasy, it's easily done on a steel 95 and a good set of fins. Just get in on the last set of stairs, and kick over towards public side around 70 feet or so. I know there was a way where you could start shallow and find the platform with the TV and recliner, and there was a steel line from there to the grotto directly below the scoreboard. If you can find that one, you should be able to find the scoreboard with minimal decompression obligation, if any. But I am not certain of the status of the platform (used to be around 30 feet or so when the lake was full, but I think it got moved during the drought).
What would you estimate the depth of the scoreboard to be...for planning purposes?

Hey - thanks... Is that recent information, though? There was recently a post on Scubaland saying it seemed to have wandered off during the flooding... The post was from a frequent Travis diver whom is familiar with the scoreboard... hence the "wanting to find it." :)

I saw that dang scoreboard 2 years ago...it was pretty weak looking then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom