Octo Choice? Atomic Aquatics M1? Ti2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koi

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a new octo soon but was wondering if anybody had any experiences with either of these two? Or had any other recommendations?

The Atomic Aquatics web site doesn't seem to show many differences between the two. The only differences I see are in appearance, and in the metals used.

Thanks for any input!

koi:
I would like to purchase a new octo soon but was wondering if anybody had any experiences with either of these two? Or had any other recommendations?

The Atomic Aquatics web site doesn't seem to show many differences between the two. The only differences I see are in appearance, and in the metals used.

Thanks for any input!

I'm seeing the same thing. All of Atomics regs have pretty much the same mechanics. Jet Seat piston firsts and such. The M1 has the Monel first stage. Looks like interesting material and I'd consider it for my primary. I think it's kind of overkill for an octo, unless your super tech guy or something. Lots of cash too. I'm sure someone that dives the M1 will chime in.. Happy hunting..

But I'd like to have a reliable, easy breathing second. I will be using the B2 as my primary. I was considering the SS1 but upon further reflection, decided against it.

Would be willing to consider alternatives. I haven't come across any Rodale's reviews on seconds however.

koi:
But I'd like to have a reliable, easy breathing second. I will be using the B2 as my primary. I was considering the SS1 but upon further reflection, decided against it.

Would be willing to consider alternatives. I haven't come across any Rodale's reviews on seconds however.

There you go.. If you already have an Atomic reg and you're happy with them definately stick with the brand. Get your dealer to let you try out a Z1 or something not quite as high end.. Z's are pretty sweet considering they're the low end of the Atomic line.. I still think the M1 is overkill for an octo..but.. maybe once you've tried the M1, it could become your primary.. Sounds like you can't go wrong either way at this point..

smay28:
There you go.. If you already have an Atomic reg and you're happy with them definately stick with the brand. Get your dealer to let you try out a Z1 or something not quite as high end.. Z's are pretty sweet considering they're the low end of the Atomic line.. I still think the M1 is overkill for an octo..but.. maybe once you've tried the M1, it could become your primary.. Sounds like you can't go wrong either way at this point..

The "problem" with the Z1 is that it's the only Atomic second with a 1 year service interval. All the others are 2 year.

--L

lairdb:
The "problem" with the Z1 is that it's the only Atomic second with a 1 year service interval. All the others are 2 year.

--L
How does that compare to other regs? Which others have 2 year servivce intervals? I don't see that as a problem. Especially if you have the expendable cash for Atomic product in the first place. I always wondered what the service interval was based on. Annual service seems kind of generic to me. I could see it if it were based on material degregation but in my mind, hours of use makes more sense.. but that's just me. Somebody offer another viewpoint.
Cheers..

koi:
I would like to purchase a new octo soon but was wondering if anybody had any experiences with either of these two?

The M1 octo has the same internals as the Z1 octo, except for the orifice which is stainless steel as opposed to titanium in the Z1. Since the M1 and Z1 second stages (and hence, the octos) have almost the same internals, it's interesting that the M1 has a 2-year service interval whereas the Z1 has a 1-year interval. This leads me to believe that the Z1 will do just fine with 2-year services.

Anyway, if it's between the M1/Ti2, unless you prefer the M1 second stage and are going to use it as your primary, get the Ti2. It's the same as your B2 second stage except for the exhaust tee. (You can get the B2 exhaust tee for $20, but I think for an octo a compact size is better than having slightly less bubble interference.)

You could also save a little bit of money and get the Z1 octo, as the performance will be almost the same.

As for me, I have a gear fetish, so I went with the Ti2 for its shiny Ti internals.. :wink:

smay28:
How does that compare to other regs? Which others have 2 year servivce intervals?

Well, the OP's question was about the different regs from Atomic, not other mfr's entirely, but IIRC, most if not all others list 1 year service intervals.

Atomic is for sure the only mfr I'm aware of that allows you to bring a reg back into warranty coverage even if you miss a service. Miss any other by a day, and it never comes back in.

smay28:
I don't see that as a problem. Especially if you have the expendable cash for Atomic product in the first place.

Don't think of it as being about the dollar cost of service, but rather the time and inconvenience of keeping track of the dates, getting it done, etc.

smay28:
I always wondered what the service interval was based on. Annual service seems kind of generic to me. I could see it if it were based on material degregation but in my mind, hours of use makes more sense.. but that's just me.

I agree with you, but without an hours-meter on the reg components, it's a little tricky. In a near-ideal world, it would be based on the least of X dive cycles, Y hours of use, or Z calendar days since last service. In a completely ideal world, the unit would self-monitor.

--L

(In a completely ideal world, the unit would use the same nano-precipitation engine that it uses to extract breathing gas from seawater to extract elements to perform self-renewal.)

Actually, Atomic doesn't require annual maintenance for warranty coverage. They recommend maintenance every year (Z1) or two (all others), but the lifetime warranty applies to the first owner regardless of maintenance record. This is all according to thier web page:
http://www.atomicaquatics.com/warranty.html

I'll still get my Z1 looked at this fall just in case.

Just wanted to thank you all for your input. A lot of good information was presented.

I contacted Atomic Aquatics about their service interval differences and they mentioned that the Z1 has a 1 year because it doesn't have the titanium that the M1, and Ti2 do.

Again, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom