Octo Choice? Atomic Aquatics M1? Ti2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koi:
Just wanted to thank you all for your input. A lot of good information was presented.

I contacted Atomic Aquatics about their service interval differences and they mentioned that the Z1 has a 1 year because it doesn't have the titanium that the M1, and Ti2 do.

Again, thanks!

If it was me, I would buy the B-2 and a Z-1 2nd stage for an Octo! I dive an M-1 and use a Z-1 Octo and really like both. I had a B-1 with the M-1 exhaust and swivel, until a recent house burglary. I liked it too! :eyebrow:

koi:
I contacted Atomic Aquatics about their service interval differences and they mentioned that the Z1 has a 1 year because it doesn't have the titanium that the M1, and Ti2 do.

That's misleading, because the Z1 actually has more Ti than the M1, AFAIK. The valve body are both the same, Zirconium plated brass. The lever and springs are titanium in both. The only difference is the orifice, the Z1 has a Ti orifice, M1 has stainless steel. (I guess to avoid having Ti exposed to IP.)

That's all the metal there is in the second stage. Neither first stages contain any titanium. (They are also almost the same, with same parts except for the monel piston and swivel port on the M1.)

Here's what I think happened when they were coming up with their product line. T1, B1 has Ti, so 2 years service interval. Z1 doesn't have a Ti valve body, so 1 years. So far it makes good sense. But then they had to create an M1 for higher oxygen content and couldn't use Ti for their second stage valve body. Since when placing the product they wanted to put it over the B1, it would be nice to have a 2 year service interval as the B1 does. So that's where they put it, although looking at the internals there really isn't any difference with the Z1. Now since there is enough design margin, this probably won't present any problems at all in the field.

This is all wild speculation..

At any rate, I love my Atomics! (two B1 first stages and three Ti2's.)

lairdb:
Well, the OP's question was about the different regs from Atomic, not other mfr's entirely, but IIRC, most if not all others list 1 year service intervals.

Atomic is for sure the only mfr I'm aware of that allows you to bring a reg back into warranty coverage even if you miss a service. Miss any other by a day, and it never comes back in.

Don't think of it as being about the dollar cost of service, but rather the time and inconvenience of keeping track of the dates, getting it done, etc.

I agree with you, but without an hours-meter on the reg components, it's a little tricky. In a near-ideal world, it would be based on the least of X dive cycles, Y hours of use, or Z calendar days since last service. In a completely ideal world, the unit would self-monitor.

--L

(In a completely ideal world, the unit would use the same nano-precipitation engine that it uses to extract breathing gas from seawater to extract elements to perform self-renewal.)

Thanks, I was just expanding on the OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread.. Good answers all..

koi:
I would like to purchase a new octo soon but was wondering if anybody had any experiences with either of these two? Or had any other recommendations?

The Atomic Aquatics web site doesn't seem to show many differences between the two. The only differences I see are in appearance, and in the metals used.

Thanks for any input!

Hey... About octo's: I've been diving for a lot of years and over time have developed a definite preference about back-up regs. Only twice in my 46 years of diving have I been confronted with a truly 'out of air' diver who wanted air from me. I've always read and heard that this is one of the most dangerous situations the average diver will run into. The out of air diver is either in or near a panic situation. Typically he goes for the only sure source of air: the air in YOUR mouth. Next thing you know he's hyperventillating in your mouthpiece and not about to give it back. So, now you have to go to your own back-up. It's just at those moments that your back-up isn't clipped anymore where it was supposed to be clipped. It got pulled free and is hanging behind you, or since you don't ever use it, you've put a strap over the hose, or who knows what. Now you have two divers in a panic and about to start yanking the reg out of each others mouth. Result: probably two casulties. I've had it happen and I've watched it happen. Also, the octo gets abused. It's the piece of gear that seldom gets tested, often gets dragged, or hung up on something. There's no certanty it will even work in that 'crisis.' So, years ago I went to the ScubaPro Air II. It was a good concept but a lousy piece of equipment. As for the concept: You are always using your power inflator during the dive and therefore instinctively know exactly where it is. In a panic it's always there -- right there. The out of air diver lunges for your mouthpiece, and you take the Air II. The concept is very good. The Air II on the other hand breaths very poorly at depth and has a lifetime history of leaking or free flowing. Anytime you ask a piece of equipment to do two jobs, something has to become compromised. In this case it's a poor regulator. Sherwood overcame some of that with their Shadow. It's its own regulator that simply connects in-line to your power inflator. It's still not a great regulator, but a quantum leap up from the Air II. Atomic has the SS1 -- combo safe second + power inflator. The specs on it are great, and it got good ratings, but I have no experience with it. My fear is that in the compromise, it will have the same weaknesses of the Air II. So, for my money, I suggest the Sherwood Shadow as your back up. If you're diving deep and going Tech, I would suggest an H-valve, and putting a 2nd top of the line regulator on it with the 2nd stage on a bridal strap around your neck (right under your chin.) And even when I'm going deep and carry the H with a 2nd high performance reg, I still have the Shadow attached to my power inflator. I ALWAYS KNOW WHERE IT IS!!! Nothing in the open water, with a diver in a panic, is as it was in the instruction pool. Good luck... hope this helps. Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom