Oceanic Veo 100 for a new diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXDude

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found a good deal on a package that includes this computer/gauge. This is the non nitrox version. What do you gents/ladies think? The deal seems way good to be true.

Oceanic Alpha 8 reg with cdx5 first state
Dacor Talon BC
Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Oceanic 100 veo (non nitro)

All for 500 bucks.

I'm looking for a good solid warm water set up that will provide years of trouble free service. Should I upgrade to the nitrox model?

Thank you so much in advance,

The only reason I wouldn't upgrade to a nitrox model is to increase the safety margin by diving nitrox using air tables/computer AND you want to save a few bucks. Otherwise, its probably a good investment to get the nitrox version... My local dealer also told me the Veo 100s will be (maybe are already) discontinued.

I have no personal experience with the equipment you list but the spouse did not like the Alpha8 one bit. I've used previous models of Mares regulators and loved them. The BC is a comfort thing... it has to fit good. If possible, try it on... I know it's not the same as having it loaded down with a cylinder and weights in the water, but it will give you a good starting point.

Ken

the veo is a good first computer. if you want to upgrade later, the 250 fits into the same spot in your console and the 100 could either be a backup or sold for a few bucks. so - nothing wrong with it, they sell fairly briskly, easy to figure out, give it a try!

it was my first 'puter...

I like my VEO100. Simple to use. Tim

Completely agree.

However i must say I recentlty sold mine and bought an Mares M2 cause ST has them so cheap. The M2 is quite large but has far, far more features than the veo and its only like $30 more right now

The only downside I can see to the VEO 100 is that it lacks PC download capabilities if you want that feature. Otherwise, it's a fine computer.

I had the VEO 100 only a short time, I traded up on a VEO 200 (VEO250 now) it has a back light, PC interface and more importantly nitrox capability ... I never thought I would need the nitrox capability but now I have a nitrox cert and it came in handy when doing multipul dives in a day
(the VEO 180 has nitrox and PC downloadable .. at Divers Direct for $200 for a wrist mount, you could put into a console, or $240 in a console with SPG)
I would trade up, you never know if you might get the cert and it might come in handy to have
However i must say I recentlty sold mine and bought an Mares M2 cause ST has them so cheap. The M2 is quite large but has far, far more features than the veo and its only like $30 more right now
$165 does seam like a very good deal on a nitrox computer ... http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2

Last edited:
You may be able to do better if you shop around a bit and even consider used gear. But for that price a lot depends on how much you like the specific gear, especially the BC. If you really like the gear, go for it.

I have an older Oceanic Alpha-8 with SP-5 first stage (2005 vintage). I like how it breathes, but I don't like how much I get bubbles in the face.

I have the VEO-180. It works well enough as long as I don't have to change any settings. I don't particularly like how it spends several minutes cycling through a bunch of dive planning screens for all depths down to 190 feet. I'd prefer it just show the main screen with surface interval, temp and such and then require a button press to go into the planning screens. But I'm easily annoyed by poor user interface.

I paid $300 for my reg set; it had been used as a rental for three years. The SPG started leaking after a few dives, but my shop replaced it under warranty. (They were not too happy about that.) I also paid $300 for a display model SeaQuest Pro Unlimited BCD. I am very happy with my SeaQuest.

Having said all that, my experience with different gear is pretty limited. I've done only 30 dives, half on rentals. I based a lot of my choices on ScubaLab reviews and what I thought were good deals. I regret not making notes in my dive log about the gear I rented and how much I liked it (or not).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom