Oceanic Omega 2, will a simple LP hose swap mess up it's tune/breathability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently had a reg set serviced (Oceanic CDX5/GT3) with Omega 2 octo. I had not tested the reg in any way until tonight, tonight I simply swapped out (on the Omega 2 octo) an approx 28" hose with a new, longer, 40" rubber hose. I did a simple reg test on the reg set tonight, (hooked to full 3000 psi AL 80 tank) and all seemed well/fine EXCEPT for the 'octo' which has a rather weak air flow, very weak purge air flow, not acceptable for diving. I had not tested the reg prior to my doing the simple hose swap, so I don't know if the reg had the problem before I did the hose swap or not.

I know the old Omega 2 is a bit 'weird' in design, (although I think they look cool!) and I have no prior dive experience with an Omega 2 before, and while I know it's hard to diagnose problems via the internet, is there any way I could have messed up the octo's 'tune' by accidentally rotating something by the simple act of swapping out the hose ? I'll check in with the relevant LDS dive ship this weekend to see what they say (I'm sure they'll make it right), but I'm an Omega 2 'newbie' and was curious if I self-inflicted this issue ?

It may just be the case the LDS did a 'cold' tune vs a 'hot' tune, since it's a non user adjustable octo, to reduce the chance of free-flows, but if that's the case, the well over shot the mark.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Did you try putting the original hose back on and re-testing it? The only possible way changing the hose could have affected it is if the new hose is blocked in some way. I'm not familiar with this regulator, but I can't imagine that removing the hose would change the adjustment. I have heard of people damaging 2nd stages by removing a very tight hose without putting a wrench on the jamb nut. I suppose there might be some 2nd stages out there with which it is possible to rotate the whole valve assembly including the lever by trying to loosen a stuck hose.

But since you just picked this up from service, the hose connection should not have been very tight; just enough to keep it from loosening on its own.

I have the service manual for this in front of me. We went over the procedure briefly in my Oceanic service tech class but did not tear one down as they had already been discontinued. The Omega 2 is a very finicky second stage with lots of opportunities to screw it up on disassembly and reassembly.
There is an indexed valve retainer that can be damaged by improper removal of the hose. The valve module needs to be removed from the housing before you remove the hose. You can't just unscrew it like any other second stage.
At reassembly, you need to attach the hose to the valve module before you install it into the body.

I have the service manual for this in front of me. We went over the procedure briefly in my Oceanic service tech class but did not tear one down as they had already been discontinued. The Omega 2 is a very finicky second stage with lots of opportunities to screw it up on disassembly and reassembly.
There is an indexed valve retainer that can be damaged by improper removal of the hose. The valve module needs to be removed from the housing before you remove the hose. You can't just unscrew it like any other second stage.
At reassembly, you need to attach the hose to the valve module before you install it into the body.

Hi Jim,
I suspect you've nailed it. Right when I snugged up the LP hose, it stopped, and then ever so slightly beyond that point in the tightening process I felt an unexpected, tiny, 'give', (and I instantly stopped any further tightening) which is when I probably slightly rotated the valve module by mistake. I'm very surprised it took so little of an error on my part to jack it up so bad! I don't know if it can simply be readjusted back by the LDS reg guy, or if I have damaged/destroyed one or more bits as well. Additionally, as the Omega 2 went out of production over a decade ago, I have no idea the extent to which Oceanic supports this reg with replacement parts.
Guess that's what I get for trying DIY....sigh.
This weekend I'll have to inquire at the LDS how next to proceed, hopefully the unit can be saved/restored.

Thanks again,

Karl

Did you try putting the original hose back on and re-testing it? The only possible way changing the hose could have affected it is if the new hose is blocked in some way. I'm not familiar with this regulator, but I can't imagine that removing the hose would change the adjustment. I have heard of people damaging 2nd stages by removing a very tight hose without putting a wrench on the jamb nut. I suppose there might be some 2nd stages out there with which it is possible to rotate the whole valve assembly including the lever by trying to loosen a stuck hose.

But since you just picked this up from service, the hose connection should not have been very tight; just enough to keep it from loosening on its own.

Hi halocline,
I think Jim has nailed it. I'm just shocked the 2nd stage design is so touchy and 'special'. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks,

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom