For Sale Ocean Reef G.Divers Space FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I purchased an Ocean Reef G Divers mask from a member here on SB. I have been thinking of trying one for a while. I took a quick class from my local instructor and did 2 dives in the pool before leaving for Cozumel. I used it on the first 3 days of diving. I found a lot that I liked, and a few things I disliked about the FFM.

I really like being able to breathe out of my nose and mouth. Zero jaw fatigue and no saltwater taste in the mask. When I went back to my normal reg I was surprised how much my jaw was fatigued after just one dive.
Also really like that the mask never fogs. My usual mask typically fogs towards the end of a dive and I have to flood and clear.
I like that the mask keeps your face dry and mouth free of saltwater. I imagine it would be much warmer if diving in cold water.

Dislikes:
Adds another layer of complexity. Mask is larger and can't be tossed in your gear bag as easily as a standard mask
Mask will free flow if you get too head down. I like to poke around under ledges with my light and camera, and frequently get upside down. Mask would free flow and you have to crank down on the breathing effort knob to get it to stop.
Fit is critical. On one dive the top straps weren't set correctly and I had to try to adjust under water. It must have loosened when I took it off on our surface interval, so lesson is to double check the fit and straps prior to every descent. I used the surface air valve on the boat prior to getting in the water and all seemed fine, but when switching to the tank air a leak became evident.

Neutral:
Communications system. I purchased the communications transmitter and the mask I purchased came with a receiver. I didn't have another diver with an FFM, and no real way to test the system so can't really comment on the quality of the communications. I know it works, but didn't get to use it on this trip.

With all of this being said, I think I will sell the mask and comm system as I tend to take a lot of photos and spend a lot of time head down. If I were diving cold water I think I would definitely use an FFM as it was noticeably warmer. It is a quality piece of gear, but for my needs I think the standard regulator works a bit better.

price and size

I was waiting for a friend to check it out before I put it for sale on here, but since you asked it is M/L blue. I bought from a board member a month or so ago for $450 with a comm receiver. I would sell for $400 plus shipping. I also have the communications transmitter/receiver that I purchased new. I would sell that for $400 as well. I tried the comm system in the pool, but did not have anyone to communicate with on the dives in Cozumel.

on the comms unit do you need the surface box or not. im not sure if it will fit the misses let me measure her and illl get back to you as quick as i can. how much for both?

I have two pieces of GSM communications gear. The receiver which can be given to another diver to listen only, and a transmitter/receiver for the FFM. $800 plus shipping for everything.

I was waiting for a friend to check it out before I put it for sale on here, but since you asked it is M/L blue. I bought from a board member a month or so ago for $450 with a comm receiver. I would sell for $400 plus shipping. I also have the communications transmitter/receiver that I purchased new. I would sell that for $400 as well. I tried the comm system in the pool, but did not have anyone to communicate with on the dives in Cozumel.
I’m interested in this. I’m new on here so not sure on the correct way to communicate. Could you text me at 423-489-8888. Thanks

so after diving with FFM. I never went back to regular option. You just can't beat the radio communication and ease of use . your face will never get dry and you never feel the cold again in your face in california water.

you should fit it in the pool before you went out for a dive. after correctly setting up the mask, you should have no problem later in the day what so ever.

the mask is also positively pressured , so water will never go in. I put spare mask in my dry suit. after 5 years, there is not one situation I have to pull it out and use it.

FFM is defetinly the way to go. there is no point going back to mouth regulator in any situation in recreational diving anymore. it's just old and useless

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom