Ocean related groaners...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, once there was a fish called a Rary. It was, indeed, rare, but what really made it interesting was its size. They disappeared in the 50's so only guys like Walter and I have had any experience with them, but let me tell you they made a whale shark look like a minnow!

So, it turns out that a dive boat off the Florida coast was out for the usual morning two-tanker about 50 years ago when the captain thought he saw a rather large wake. He scooted on over to the site of the wake and had all the divers suit up--in those days that didn't take much time since there was not a lot equipment used. As soon as they arrived over the site, the DM jumped in and the rest followed suit.

They did not get more than 20 ft down before they thought they were seeing the ocean floor moving. But, no, it was a Rary in all its glory. The DM had a speargun--that was the way of the world in those bygone days--and he took aim and got a clean shot into the Rary. Well, the DM and the divers all grabbed ahold of the gun and swam like hell to the boat.

When they got there with the gun,line and Rary in tow the captain helped them aboard and they all began tugging on the line to haul the Rary in. And they succeeded in getting it aboard; and it damn near covered the boat. In fact, it was completely covering the cabin! But, there was a law against killing Raries and they knew they had to head for the barn before the Coast Guard spotted them. However, their luck was not good that day and, sure enough, a Coast Guard cutter rounded the point just ahead.

They thought if they could dump the Rary back in the water, they would be in the clear. So they climbed up on the top deck of the cabin and tried to lift one side of the Rary up so it would slide into the water. But it was just too heavy and they could not do it.

The long and short of it was that the cutter's crew boarded them and they were both fined and jailed. However, that was not before the Captain of the cutter noted that he had seen them trying to dump the Rary back and he thought that it was nearly an impossible task because from the top of the cabin to the surface of the ocean is

"a long way to tip a Rary."

Joewr...hoping Walter will take the blame for this one, too....

I was told that drinking beer was like riding in a canoe, "pretty darn close to water"

Okay, Fishkiller, you stole my name(see the thread you started, please), so you owe me one! If you are under 50 years of age, please answer this question.

"The beer that made Mil Famie walk us"...what is the original sentence and where did it come from?

Joewr...wondering if they even make it there any more?

I can see when it comes to Groaners I'm not in the same league as Walter, Joewr and NetDoc. Be that as it may, in keeping with the spirit of this ongoing puntest, here's my contribution. . .Warren
- - -
Two friars were behind on their belfry payments, so they opened up a small florist shop to raise the funds. Since everyone liked to buy flowers from men of God, the rival florist across town thought the competition was unfair. He asked the good fathers to close down, but they would not. He went back and begged the friars to close. They ignored him. He asked his mother to go and ask the friars to get out of the business. They ignored her, too. So, the rival florist hired Hugh MacTaggart, the roughest and most vicious thug in town to "persuade" them to close. Hugh beat up the friars and trashed their store, saying he'd be back if they didn't close up shop.

Terrified, they did so, thereby proving that Hugh, and only Hugh, can prevent florist friars.

This could go a long way down from here, but Schlitz was a great beer, followed by things like Lone Star, and a few others.....I can kill two birds here, since by name should be explanatory and the fact that I know about lots of beer.....My 7-11 store has covered a lot of beer things over the past 15 years.....Slurpeeman....Larry

BigGulp,

And, so it must have been, "The beer that made Milwaukee famous!"

And I note for my friend in Florida, that it is Milwaukee not Melwaukee. Of course, it is "walk", not "wauk": therefore, he could have a case...a weak one, but a case none-the-less.

And, as long as someone else brought it up, that is like saying that, "Lone Star is the beer that made San Antonio famous!"

Joewr...wondering what beer made Orlando famous? Kool Aid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom