Not what you want to happen to your dive boat...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkUK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My friend sent me this link and thought I'd share it. The website is in German, but don't worry about reading any of it if you don't happen to be fluent in German, just check out that video.

What makes me laugh is how calm everyone seems on the top deck of the smaller vessel even after the impact. Think I might be a little more freaked out! :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

Schiffaufprall - Video auf Chilloutzone

Mark

The small boat had the right to pass, and the big one (which was recording the event) should have turned to starboard.

With my 25 footer, I give up my right of way reasonably often. There are plenty of larger boats out there with inexperienced or IQ deficient captains (occasionally compounded by alcohol). One footnote I remember from my Power Squadron class was that the bottom line of the "rules of the road" are to safely avoid accidents whenever possible, even when you have the right of way.

I have seen someone force the USCG, who had right of way, to change direction in order to avoid impact.

That was awful:shocked2:

Oh, man oh man. Thanks for sharing that. Perhaps the larger boat was operating by the rule of tonnage, a principle wise sailors learned long ago to respect.

But seriously, while I've seen many "chicken" contests, power and sail, this looks more like failure to keep a lookout. Not even a hint of course change near the end.

-Bryan

When two power vessels are on paths that cross, the one with the other to its starboard must give way. When two power vessels are on nearly reciprocal courses, they must both turn to starboard (right) to avoid a collision. Colregs rules 14 and 15. Not sure which rule the investigators (insurance companies) will settle on.

Maneuverability and size are not formally part of the Colregs but only a fool would sail his yacht across the bow of a container ship under way, even though the rules give sail right-of-way over power (except in restricted navigation channels). This comon-sense attitude is known as the rule of tonnage.

The three primary rules are to keep a lookout at all times, to run at a safe speed which allows you to maneuver safely and avoid collisions, and to do everything in your power to avoid a collision regardless of who has the right-of-way under the rules. I'd say both skippers are 1 for 3 at best.

The Colregs are widely available online, for example at boatsafe.

I learned to sail and motor for pleasure. A wise old salt taught me that if I'm on the water for the fun of it, it's only polite to avoid make those who are working for a living (fishermen, ferries, tour boats) alter course unnecessarily.

-Bryan

Back
Top Bottom