Norte coming Nov 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for anyone left high and dry today. Have fun exploring or going to the museum or a beach club!

It looks like the winds shift a little more East tomorrow. Hopefully enough to open port. It will probably be closed until the update provided tomorrow morning by Port Captain. That could mean a 9AM port opening but who knows. If open it is going to be a rough wet ride but your gonna get wet anyway.

Do they vary the length of boats they allow out in bad weather based on how bad it is expected to be?
Apparently so. If you read the harbor master's announcement in post #25 you'll see the bit about 24 meters. 24 meters is nearly 80 feet, but I have seen closure announcements for boats <40 feet (~12 meters) in length.

Apparently so. If you read the harbor master's announcement in post #25 you'll see the bit about 24 meters. 24 meters is nearly 80 feet, but I have seen closure announcements for boats <40 feet (~12 meters) in length.
Yes, that is what caught my attention.
Wondering if it varies or has it just been raised for any and all closures.

Was it raised to prevent the larger dive boats from going out when the smaller ones couldn't, because the smaller ops complained or just to make it "fair".
Kind of like how diving on the east side is closed when the port is closed because only one shop regularly dived there.

Yes, that is what caught my attention.
Wondering if it varies or has it just been raised for any and all closures.

Was it raised to prevent the larger dive boats from going out when the smaller ones couldn't, because the smaller ops complained or just to make it "fair".
Kind of like how diving on the east side is closed when the port is closed because only one shop regularly dived there.
I can't claim to know the mind of the harbor master, so I dunno.

I think they usually ban all recreational water sports When they close the port to small boats.

Anyone have their recorded water temps handy from the past 2-3-4 days?
Consistent 84 - 85 F down to150', no real variation and have observed no cool water upwellings off the wall.
Coral bleaching extends to depth.

Earlier this week:
Screenshot_2023-11-02-05-48-55-50_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Do they vary the length of boats they allow out in bad weather based on how bad it is expected to be?

Aldora's Falicity used to be able to go out when the smaller boats were docked, but it's not near 24 meters.

Maybe they raised it to 24 meters to prevent certain operators to be able to go out in risky weather.

It's 40 feet and larger allowed out when permissible. Most of the dive boats are around 30 feet.

Back
Top Bottom