Norte coming Nov 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NDL_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As the cold front moves South through Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas late this weekend early next week, Windguru and Windy apps are showing a Norte hitting Cozumel starting 1 November to about 3 November (Wed to Fri inclusive). While it it still a week away, the cold front pushing through those states are a really good predictor of a Norte hitting Cozumel a few days after.

Get your diving in early next week, look at cenote diving or East side diving as backup. Things may change but the cold front is pretty big so ....

I'll post when it hits here in Galveston County. Yes 2-3 days later it "might" get to Cozumel, but not always.

Dave

Well check out the bottom end of wind guru's prediction (kp/h). Long ways out but then again it is my vacation:mad: Violet coloring does not bode well.

1698354029335.png

The more we go to Cozumel, the less I worry about getting blown out. I want to dive, but if the port closes, we’ll just find something else fun to do.

Does Nov. 1st and 2nd look like a port closure if it comes in as predicted? I planned on diving Oct. 28 - Nov.2.

Probably, but it more about wind direction. The North wind will close the port but a NE or more S winds should keep the port open at higher wind speeds.
Dave Dilleyhay knows alot more since he was a dive shop owner in Cozumel for 20+ years before he retired. I think he is the one that pointed out the relationship between strong North winds in Texas helping predict Norte in Cozumel a few years back. At some windspeed only larger boats can go out because panga boats are not ment for bigger waves.

Yeah, it's coming thru the Texas Central High Plains between Amarillo and Lubbock this weekend and could well continue on to hit there. You never know about the weather, but the odds say yep.

1698372137227.png

Not a good farming year. We got spring rains which were a treat, but too many dry days over 105F, then a hurricane breakup raining on what we had to harvest, and now an early killing freeze.

Well check out the bottom end of wind guru's prediction (kp/h). Long ways out but then again it is my vacation:mad: Violet coloring does not bode well.

View attachment 807662
That forecast showed a Tropical storm moving up the channel between Cozumel and Cuba. The new model does not show that and you should be good (forcasts change).
The Norte for 1 to 3 November from
however is firming up and does not look good for port being open. I posted the link vs static image so it is current.

Yes, it looks like a strong cold front (big temp drop) and North Wind will be here in Galveston on Monday Oct. 30. Likely to be in Coz 31st to Nov. 2.

Dave

I'll post when it hits here in Galveston County. Yes 2-3 days later it "might" get to Cozumel, but not always.

Dave
It is expected to be far and away the strongest cold front through here (Austin) so far this fall with north winds lasting from Sunday night until Thursday morning. I think it is very likely to get to Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom