"non upgradeable" mares icon hd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txaggie08

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at a new dive computer, and I'm not in the least interested in a wireless AI unit.

However, several shops have some they are listing as "non upgrade eligible" for around 450$. This seems like a killer deal for a really nice wrist computer....or am I missing something?

The only thing I'm concerned about is charge time on the battery. Example: I'm going on a 7 dive trip off the flower gardens at the end of the month, will it hold up to all 7 tanks, or will i be hunting a power source?

The Icon will not last for 7 dives, but it charges fast and can be charged from any USB port or charger including a laptop or battery powered USB port. You're not going to be doing 7 dives in one day anyway.

Adam

Does anyone have one of these? According to the website specs it doesn't have the stopwatch function, but the manual says it does.

I had the Icon Net Ready for a couple of weeks and if I remember correctly, in compass mode when diving there is a stopwatch. You can also ask this question on the Mares forum.

Adam

You ever use the bottom timer mode Adam? I know it has one----it has air, nitrox, and bottom timer mode. Curious if anyone has ever used it.

I'm sure someone could ask Zak from Mares here on scubaboard to confirm the details.

Sorry I've never used the bottom timer on any of my dive computers. I know technical divers like this mode because they preplan their dive according to tables or software.

Adam

Been using the Icon HD for a few months now. I just got back from a 4 day liveaboard and my Icon lasted on a full charge through *almost* 14 dives. It blacked out just before the 14th dive. I really like this thing. The display is bright, instantly meaningful, great for NDL and safety stop info, and easy easy to read for us who use reading glasses. I don't use the compass at all, so can't comment. The photo display capability is a bit stupid and superfluous. And the ability to download dive maps is useless. My biggest complaint is that the charging clip is very particular and fussy. Four tiny metal prongs have to line up just right on four tiny little pads or it won't charge or communicate to a PC. And in my case this clip has already broken. Still, I'd recommend this and am very pleased with its core functionality.

So I ended up just buying two of them in the hope that the manual was correct :)

Today Mares got back to me via Email and confirmed that yes it has a stopwatch, but only in one of the diving modes, which is why they state "No" on the website. It's not available in surface mode.
I wonder if they'll ever upgrade this unit to Trimix?

So I ended up just buying two of them in the hope that the manual was correct :)

Today Mares got back to me via Email and confirmed that yes it has a stopwatch, but only in one of the diving modes, which is why they state "No" on the website. It's not available in surface mode.
I wonder if they'll ever upgrade this unit to Trimix?

I doubt you'll ever see Trimix on it as it's meant for recreational use.

Back
Top Bottom