Non-certified diver fatality - Arkansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The news story could certainly have omitted or misstated info, but base on it at least - it does not sound like a student in training.

Illinois man drowns on Bull Shoals Lake | The Baxter Bulletin | baxterbulletin.com
A 33-year-old Illinois man died Saturday on Bull Shoals lake after he went scuba diving and did not resurface, according to Marion County Sheriff Roger Vickers.Phillip G. Schwab, 33, of Stonington Ill., was scuba diving with a friend late Saturday afternoon in approximately 70 feet of water. The friend surfaced, and Schwab did not, prompting a call to authorities, Vickers said Monday.
“At this time, it appears he ran out of air,” Vickers said. “The incident is still under investigation, and the body has been sent to the state crime lab.”
Personnel from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office joined police and firefighters from Bull Shoals who responded to the call, said Vickers. Bull Shoals Boat Dock co-owner Rick Eastwold also responded to the scene, and dove searching for Schwab, according to Vickers.
“Rick has a great deal of experience diving,” said Vickers. “He knows how to handle himself. He’s got years and years of experience.”
Eastwold found Schwab in approximately 70 feet of water and brought him to the surface, said Vickers.
Schwab was one of approximately 10-12 people from Illinois who came down together and rented a couple of houseboats, Vickers said. Only one person in the party, the friend who went down with Schwab, was a certified scuba diver, according to Vickers who said Schwab was not a certified scuba diver.

If he wasn't certified, where'd did he get the gear?

Yes, of course, anyone can get gear. Still, the question remains as to where the gear was obtained.

Did he buy a reg? If so, did he buy used or new reg?

Did he rent his gear? If so, from where and in whose name was it rented?

I've been asked for a C-card once back in the 90's in FL for a air fill. Didn't have it with me because I'd never been asked. We talked for a while and then he filled my tank.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 09:13 AM ----------

If he wasn't certified, where'd did he get the gear?

Yes, of course, anyone can get gear. Still, the question remains as to where the gear was obtained.

Did he buy a reg? If so, did he buy used or new reg?

Did he rent his gear? If so, from where and in whose name was it rented?

I'll go out on limb here, his certified friend rented or loaned him the gear.

I'll go out on limb here, his certified friend rented or loaned him the gear.

That would be a safe bet! I have a couple of $$

I have never been asked to produce any form of proof that I am certified when buying, renting equipment or filling cylinders.

Betting against it would probably be a suckers bet. How'd you like to be the friend today? If it is correct that is.

70' in Bull Shoals can be a stressful dive. The visability is usually less than 10' and sometimes worse, the temp goes from 82 surface to 54, and can be dark and silty.

I'm not saying it's a super advanced dive but there are number of stressors.

Thoughts with family!

Before that he stated: Vickers says Schwab was not a certified diver and had been diving with a person who was certified. Vickers says the certified diver ran out of air but was able to make it to the surface.

I think that is an indication of where the gear came from. I think somebody didn't want to dive alone, too bad he came up alone.

I have never been asked to produce any form of proof that I am certified when buying, renting equipment or filling cylinders.

I was once questioned about me renting gear for another diver......the shop confirmed with me that they were certified and then gave me everything I asked for. So, they asked but really that does nothing. Thankfully I am smarter than the friend in this case and would not provide an uncertified diver with a complete scuba kit.

One other time I was asked for my C-Card for tank fills. Once.

Back
Top Bottom