Iowa private pond fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
There are several Marion Counties in the US, but this one is in Iowa, and its county seat is Knoxville. See Weather at the link.

A Knoxville man has died in a scuba diving accident in a private pond near Harvey. The Marion County Sheriff’s Office reports that Rich Rees, age 71, from Knoxville, and another adult male were diving in the pond, when Rees did not surface at approximately 11:00 this morning. The other diver was able to get him to shore and summoned help from another man that was fishing nearby in a small boat. The two men started CPR and called 911 until a Deputy from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office arrived on scene and took over. Deputies and first responders were able to get Rees to a nearby ambulance and he was transported to Pella Regional Health Center, where he was pronounced dead. The Marion County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by Pella Ambulance, Clay Township Fire and Rescue, Knoxville PD and Knoxville Fire and Rescue.

There are several Marion Counties in the US, but this one is in Iowa, and its county seat is Knoxville. See Weather at the link.

Assumed it was Tennessee, thanks for the heads up.
Also, the sheriff 's logo...

Assumed it was Tennessee, thanks for the heads up.
Also, the sheriff 's logo...
Certainly a lot of points on that star, all of our departments have the 6 point star. Here's mine
20220816_030539.jpg

In 2013 we had a 63 year old diver install a fountain and aerator in his pond at 14ft of depth. Ponds are normally really low visibility until winter and somehow he got wrapped in the chain and air hose. There was a tire like float, 16~ ft of stainless chain, and a 10lbs mushroom anchor with aerator attached.

After an hour the wife calls the department after not seeing any bubbles or a functioning fountain. We get there and find him wrapped up in the chain with a half tank of air (al 80), functioning BC, and attached weight belt, but still suspended in the column. Coroner report showed a massive heart attack. His previous dives had all been warmer salt water and shallow river dives with good visibility.

I don't know if he went into a blackout dive environment with high anxiety, panicked when he got tangled, or overloaded himself with all the weight and tasks he was carrying out.

I know of at least nine Marion counties, all named for General Francis Marion - Wikipedia
He's a personal hero of mine despite his flaws. Him and General Greene won our revolutionary war for us in my opinion. Swamp Fox was a classic show I used to watch, but could never see the final episode.

At least this poor fellow was diving with a buddy.

At least this poor fellow was diving with a buddy.
Which did nothing to facilitate his survival. (Not blaming the buddy, just making a debating point that solo isn't inherently dangerous and buddy isn't inherent safe.)

And from the wording in the article - "when Rees did not surface" and "the other diver was able to get him to shore" - makes it sound like they were either separated or not really diving as a buddy team.

Certainly a lot of points on that star, all of our departments have the 6 point star. Here's mine
View attachment 738337
In 2013 we had a 63 year old diver install a fountain and aerator in his pond at 14ft of depth. Ponds are normally really low visibility until winter and somehow he got wrapped in the chain and air hose. There was a tire like float, 16~ ft of stainless chain, and a 10lbs mushroom anchor with aerator attached.

After an hour the wife calls the department after not seeing any bubbles or a functioning fountain. We get there and find him wrapped up in the chain with a half tank of air (al 80), functioning BC, and attached weight belt, but still suspended in the column. Coroner report showed a massive heart attack. His previous dives had all been warmer salt water and shallow river dives with good visibility.

I don't know if he went into a blackout dive environment with high anxiety, panicked when he got tangled, or overloaded himself with all the weight and tasks he was carrying out.

He's a personal hero of mine despite his flaws. Him and General Greene won our revolutionary war for us in my opinion. Swamp Fox was a classic show I used to watch, but could never see the final episode.
You da man! I’m a Revolutionary War scholar and agree with you 100% on General Greene. The last battle in the NE (Springfield) was fought in my back yard. I try and walk the same route (in parts) that the Brits did from Connecticut Farms to Springfield. Give them Watts, boys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom