Nomad XT rigging/adjustments feedback appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a pro by no means but from what I see and the way I like to have my tanks yours are hanging too low and too far back. I would simply lower the cam straps to about an inch above the tank boots thus pulling the tanks further up the body.

Using the bungee tied off on the little D-rings your talking about will not work for me because the top ones are too high and the middle ones are too low. That is why I have a piece of webbing running across the back right between the 2 d-rings that my bungee is attached to that helps put the tanks right where I want them.

Using the bungee tied off on the little D-rings your talking about will not work for me because the top ones are too high and the middle ones are too low. That is why I have a piece of webbing running across the back right between the 2 d-rings that my bungee is attached to that helps put the tanks right where I want them.

can you post a picture of that rigging? and just for comparison, what size nomad do you have and how tall are you?

DSC01832.jpgDSC01841.jpgDSC01843.jpgDSC01848.jpgDSC01849.jpgDSC01850.jpg
As you can see I have a Hollis but there not too far off. Anyway this is the rigging as you can see from the one picture the bungee runs just under my armpit and is not loose not too tight. If pulled taut the bungees just meet the plain of my chest.

This is again the way I like it and by no means will be the best way for you.

Rig is 2XL and I am 6'2" and pretty wide

One of our local experienced Sidemounters has adopted a similar approach.
He uses a couple of double enders, to secure the loops to his waist D rings when suiting up.
These are detached & pocketed once the tank valves are looped.

Mike D

As you can see I have a Hollis but there not too far off. Anyway this is the rigging as you can see from the one picture the bungee runs just under my armpit and is not loose not too tight. If pulled taut the bungees just meet the plain of my chest.

This is again the way I like it and by no means will be the best way for you.

Rig is 2XL and I am 6'2" and pretty wide

that's a really interesting way of rigging the bungees. looks like the webbing is just wide enough so that the grommets that hold the bungee are just outside the span of the wing, right?

that's a really interesting way of rigging the bungees. looks like the webbing is just wide enough so that the grommets that hold the bungee are just outside the span of the wing, right?

Yes thats correct

Matt, I just watched the video ... something's not right there. Are you heading up this week-end? We need to compare rigs. Your tank valves should be up closer to your armpits, and those SPG's should be almost touching your shoulders. I'm thinking your D-rings are now too low ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Matt, I just watched the video ... something's not right there. Are you heading up this week-end? We need to compare rigs. Your tank valves should be up closer to your armpits, and those SPG's should be almost touching your shoulders. I'm thinking your D-rings are now too low ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i sent you an email this morning about diving this weekend. :wink:

i moved the d-rings up about an inch since that vid was shot, but yes, there is definitely something wrong with the way those tanks are sitting.

I have watched the comments today. I in no way think I have remotely all of the answers. But after watching the video, I too felt like the first stages should be further into your armpits and I personally route my SPGs down against the tanks. I did not like the "lolipop" setup. IMHO, I wonder if you lengthened the cord on the rear camstrap, if the back of the tanks would not sit lower and more parallel with your body. I also would move that cam strap farther down the tank to move the valves farther forward. Just some thoughts.

Bill

I have watched the comments today. I in no way think I have remotely all of the answers. But after watching the video, I too felt like the first stages should be further into your armpits and I personally route my SPGs down against the tanks. I did not like the "lolipop" setup. IMHO, I wonder if you lengthened the cord on the rear camstrap, if the back of the tanks would not sit lower and more parallel with your body. I also would move that cam strap farther down the tank to move the valves farther forward. Just some thoughts.

Bill

I would lower the cam bands too. I use HP119's and I'm 5ft9 and the cam band is only an inch up on the tank. I find it is perfect like this and the tanks are horizontal when swimming.

I'm not sure I see it well, but it seems your looped bungee has a bolt snap clipped to the tank valve. Might be wrong on that. Have to try yet the looped bungee this weekend but based on what I saw in the Armadillo manual, there is no snap in the loop, only a piece of cord to retrieve it if lost. The bungee goes from the inside of the vest and around the valve knob then back to the vest. If you remove that snap, you would gain almost an inch up.

Without considering the previous paragraph, the valves are definitely too low, as said earlier by 2-3 people. I would shorten the bungees to move the valve more closer to your armpit. With lowering the cam band, you should be in a lot better position.

By the way, the hoses look much better than the first vid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom