Nomad XT rigging/adjustments feedback appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all of the advice so far. definitely a lot of things to try out this weekend.

I'm not sure I see it well, but it seems your looped bungee has a bolt snap clipped to the tank valve.

the boltsnap is attached to a short piece of cord that is around the tank neck, not the bungee loop itself. the bungee loop is constructed similar to the way Rob attached his. i did use the same white nylon cord for both the tank clips and the loop, which may be a little confusing in the video.

the boltsnap is attached to a short piece of cord that is around the tank neck, not the bungee loop itself. the bungee loop is constructed similar to the way Rob attached his. i did use the same white nylon cord for both the tank clips and the loop, which may be a little confusing in the video.

If I understand correctly the looped bungee concept, the loop should go around the knob and the cord that is tied to the loop is used solely to retrieve the loop. While looking at the video again I see that the valve lies on the cord that is used to retrieve the bungee instead of the loop being around the knob. Putting the loop around the knob would then raise the tanks at least an inch up.

armadillocylinderclip.jpg

If I understand correctly the looped bungee concept, the loop should go around the knob and the cord that is tied to the loop is used solely to retrieve the loop. While looking at the video again I see that the valve lies on the cord that is used to retrieve the bungee instead of the loop being around the knob. Putting the loop around the knob would then raise the tanks at least an inch up.

good to know! i'll try that this weekend.

Shorten the loops. They're too long. Once you do that, the cylinders should trim out nicely along your body. That's the only issue I'm seeing. Do not reposition the cam bands. Cam bands are repositioned to change your trim, not the cylinder trim. Cylinder trim is adjusted with the bungees and bottom clip leashes.

Reactions: BB1
Shorten the loops. They're too long. Once you do that, the cylinders should trim out nicely along your body. That's the only issue I'm seeing. Do not reposition the cam bands. Cam bands are repositioned to change your trim, not the cylinder trim. Cylinder trim is adjusted with the bungees and bottom clip leashes.

So you do not think that the tank is sitting a little too far back (horizontal) on his body? From what I see and the way I like mine his are too far back if it were me... Shortening the loops will pull it up nice but it wont pull it forward will it?...

Yes or No: the cam straps should be inline with the clip off point (rails ect) not have a longer leash running at an angle...

For the record I am not challenging your advise I am just trying to learn myself.

His trim is fine. If he moves the cam bands it will change his trim. Cylinder position along the body is used to trim the body. Once the cam straps are position so the body is horizontal then the leash needs to be adjusted to the cylinders are horizontal. The leash will more often than not be at an angle to the attachment point on the rig not straight in line.

Reactions: BB1
spatman
Considering your diving dry with drygloves I think you are looking good.
If those are dry gloves then do you have any problem hooking the inflator hose up to the suit?
If the inflator is on your sternum, then does the chest strap ever interfere with the inflator button or the hose? mine gives me trouble some time.

As far as the bungies go my 130s have pulled both mine apart. These "off the dive shop shelf" 14" bungies are only held together with 2 bent peices of ss welding wire then covered with heat shrink. I have had to rebuild mine, just watch them.

The video shows your tank bottom clips riding on the widest part of the "drawer handles" on the butt plate and that is where they will ride with a level trim. In order to get the tanks under your arms you will have to slide them toward your feet but they will not move from where they are hanging on the butt plate handles. The only answer is to pull your cam strap/bottom tank clip up toward the valve. This is simple physics. This will put more tank weight on your butt and less on your chest while easing the tension on your bungies.

I have used homemade harnesses, transpac modified and OMS IQ systems. I now am using a combo OMS/Transpac/homemade system because I found I need more adjustability in going from dry through 5/7 ml and down to 3 ml. I have observed that the system has different levels of tightness and therefore may need adjustment from each weather condition. This is difficult and if not done properly can go from an open harness using dry to a closed harness using 3ml. The location of the 'D' rings and the drawer handles moves closer with the tighter harness and throws everything off. I now adjust my tank strap height dependent on what I am using and try to keep notes.

thanks for al of the advice so far. i went diving with bob yesterday, and tried a few new things which i'll post with a new video soon.

If those are dry gloves then do you have any problem hooking the inflator hose up to the suit?

i've found that some inflator hoses have tighter springs that others, so i purposely picked ones that are easier to manipulate with drygloves. that being said, there usually is a little bit of fumbling at first, but it really isn't that hard, and just gets easier with practice.

If the inflator is on your sternum, then does the chest strap ever interfere with the inflator button or the hose? mine gives me trouble some time.

the chest strap runs right above my drysuit inflator, so i haven't had issues with that. i am still figuring out a good placement for the wing inflator, which sometimes lays across the drysuit inflator...

below is a short clip bob took of me yesterday. the differences from the last video:

- i actually ran the bungee loop around the tank valve, not just under it :wink:

- i shortened the inflator hoses, helping the routing quite a bit

- bob pointed out that by having my 1st stages face down, my spgs angled away from my body. so for these dives i reconfigured them to face up. as a result, the spgs were in a much better position, but i need to shorten and reroute my wing inflator hose again.

- i switched my left 2nd stage to a 36" hose with a 90deg angle adapter. the hose lays nicely against my neck now.

- bob also pointed out that the clips attached to the tank necks were very tight and had no slack, causing them to interfere with the tanks' position. i lengthened those to about 5-6".

based on feedback you all have provided and the video below, i think my next round of adjustments will include shortening the bungee loops to pull the valves up more, and possibly lengthening the cam band clip leash by an inch or so.

sorry for the blurry video. i really need to get a better camera.

[video=vimeo;26819881]http://vimeo.com/26819881[/video]

Back
Top Bottom